Struggle Street

so, who's watching this show tonight at 8:30 on SBS?

if it's not cancelled that is. The people involved have tried to get it wiped because it represents them in an unfavourable light.

Message 1 of 167
Latest reply
166 REPLIES 166

Re: Struggle Street

@bella_again wrote:

Rabbit: While I see your point I'll have to agree to disagree! Because there are people who want to work, who want to change their lives and can't no matter how hard they try. It's called reality if it was easy to go out and get a job 800,000 odd people looking would find one.  I know of many families doing it tough working their guts out on minimum wage who don't smoke drink or anything else that can't find more work and its not through lack of trying. So do I. But the number of those who don't want to work far outnumbers those ones. They are quite satisfied to play snooker all day or go out with their mates, drinking and yahooing. They haven't got TIME for a job. Why would they bother when Centrelink keeps paying them if they put down 6 addresses where they have tried to get a jobSmiley Wink  It just isn't there and if they find other work employers usually take advantage of them because they are hardworking.  So its all the more harder for those in cycles of addiction and in housing commission to get outside of their environment to change their lives.

The places are like ghettos in some areas You are not telling me any news here. I lived there remember! and its damn near impossible to escape.  There are a lucky few that do but they are lucky most can't and it is not through lack of trying. Believe you me Rabbit from what you say my experience does not seem that different, I've just about seen it all.  All that was on my side was luck really. As I said above, you have made your own luck.

Message 161 of 167
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

@*julia*2010 wrote:

i dont know anyone who found the

documentary entertaining   Woman Frustrated

the common reaction was -

something needs to be done. 

Did you watch it?

Did it teach you anything you didn't already know?

Did it change any of your opinions about people who live in the way those people were depicted?

Did it offer any suggestions as to what should or could be done to help those people?

I found it very depressing to see how low ppl can by brought by drugs, alcohol, uninhibited sex, and ...welfare.

Sorry to disappoint you icy, but those depicted are by No MEANS the lowest. If they had done a story on some of the lowest, it would have been banned as a fabrication.

Message 162 of 167
Latest reply

I noticed that Parts 2&3 were combined for the timeslot probably due to sections being edited out, due to legal action on behalf of the 16 year old and her allegations.  

Anyway, Nathan Rees, former Premier of NSW, has an article - I found it and the accompanying comments interesting.  Based on Education.  

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-14/rees-education-is-the-key-to-turning-struggle-street-around/64...

DEB

Message 163 of 167
Latest reply

What he said about his friend Wayne rings true:"Don't underestimate the qualities it took to get him to the top. He's a man of incredible determination, discipline, focus, and resilience - and it took every bit of each for him to make his escape.".

The thing is that most don't have those qualities. They are content to live that way, or too damn lazy to do anything about it.

He also says:" Let's say I'm toothless, without ID, broke and unable to read and write. Do I move into the wide world, or do I stay put, knowing that I at least have somewhere to sleep, a social circle of sorts, and a familiarity with my surrounds? Most of us would go with the latter."

Who was he talking about there? What has toothless got to do with it? 

Message 164 of 167
Latest reply

(Nana nap/brain rest required.)  

I think it can refer to anybody by using the words "Let's say...."  

Sort of feeling safer knowing where he/she is now in Life  (the nest with mama bringing food), rather than "out there" with the unfamiliar environment (testing the wings and fossicking for sustenance ourselves.)

DEB - Be back later.

Message 165 of 167
Latest reply

@lloydslights wrote:

Sort of feeling safer knowing where he/she is now in Life  (the nest with mama bringing food), rather than "out there" with the unfamiliar environment (testing the wings and fossicking for sustenance ourselves.)

DEB - Be back later.

Yes, I understand that point he is trying to make but where does toothless etc fit into it?

and having no id,

unable to read / write?

My brother can hardly read or write because of illness as a child which damaged his vision - he owns a very nice house in a beachside suburb, which has everything material you could possibly wish for.

Message 166 of 167
Latest reply

@rabbitearbandicoot wrote:

@lloydslights wrote:

DEB - Be back later.

Yes, I understand that point he is trying to make but where does toothless etc fit into it?

and having no id,

unable to read / write?

My brother can hardly read or write because of illness as a child which damaged his vision - he owns a very nice house in a beachside suburb, which has everything material you could possibly wish for.

"Bob and Billy Jo emptied my reservoir of empathy. The only way for me to top it back up is to imagine myself in their shoes. Let's say I'm toothless, without ID, broke and unable to read and write. Do I move into the wide world, or do I stay put, knowing that I at least have somewhere to sleep, a social circle of sorts, and a familiarity with my surrounds? Most of us would go with the latter."

Rabbit, I think Rees is attempting to give an example of characteristics of a person he would feel empathy for.

Its not well expressed, unfortunately, but perhaps he means well...

Message 167 of 167
Latest reply