Student Protesters Are Revolting

PRIME Minister Tony ­Abbott has branded the students at his former university “revolting”.

Speaking at a Liberal Party fundraiser in Melbourne on Friday night, a tongue-in-cheek Mr Abbott said: “I always thought the students were revolting at my old university.”

His quip comes after Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop was mobbed at the University of Sydney before she announced an extra 1000 placements for overseas study trips under new government funding.

Mr Abbott, joined by Environment Minister Greg Hunt and Small Business Minister Bruce Billson, told the audience at Mornington Race Club that there would be more protests.

“This is but a foretaste of what is to come,” he said.

“But we must stay the course because if we are deterred, the future of our country is grim.”

Mr Abbott defended his pre-election promises saying he was determined to make hard calls.

“I don’t know if this government is going to be popular, but by God it’s going to be respected,” he said.

University of Sydney Vice-Chancellor Dr Michael Spence said the comment was made in jest.

“We believe that the Prime Minister was making a joke and appreciate that he is demonstrating the same good humour that the Foreign Minister showed on Friday,” he said.

He said students had a right to protest but not to use violence.

Yesterday Education Minister Christopher Pyne called for the students to be charged with assault.

He also called on Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to join the Government in condemning the “incomprehensible” behaviour of the students, who were protesting proposed cuts to higher education funding.

“Everyone is entitled to have a view — whether they like the Government, whether they don’t like the Government; whether they like or dislike particular policies,” Mr Pyne said.

“But the behaviour of the students yesterday at Sydney University was assault.”

Entire Article And Video Here

“Everyone is entitled to have a view — whether they like the Government, whether they don’t like the Government; whether they like or dislike particular policies,” Mr Pyne said.

totally agree with these comments by Mr Pyne. I'm certainly not happy that my taxes foster this sort of behaviour by certain groups of students.

Message 1 of 72
Latest reply
71 REPLIES 71

Mr Abbott defended his pre-election promises saying he was determined to make hard calls.

“I don’t know if this government is going to be popular, but by God it’s going to be respected,” he said.

Good luck with that, Mt Abbott.

"There is nothing more; but I want nothing more." Christopher Hitchins
Message 2 of 72
Latest reply

yes they are "revolting", revolting against......

More than a million university students and former students would face extra charges, some in the tens of thousands of dollars, according to a Fairfax Media analysis of the planned move to impose higher interest on their fees.

Message 3 of 72
Latest reply

University degrees will cost up to three times as much under a deregulated fee system, leaving graduates with $120,000-plus debts, according to the architect of the HECS student loan scheme.

Message 4 of 72
Latest reply

@bluecat*dancing wrote:

Good luck with that, Mt Abbott.

Yet another strange statement by the master of weird.

Message 5 of 72
Latest reply

Message 6 of 72
Latest reply

1 July 2002

Speaking  at Workforce's enterprise bargaining conference in Sydney, Abbott wound up his comments by telling the audience while he knew there were 'plenty of bad bosses out there' that:

'If we're honest, most of us would accept that a bad boss is a little bit like a bad father or a bad husband - notwithstanding his faults, you find that he tends to do more good than harm. He may be a bad boss but at least he's employing someone.'

Message 7 of 72
Latest reply

Freaki, It is creepy.He is going to make it so bad for us that he thinks we will bow down to him ?

Message 8 of 72
Latest reply

...................................................................................................................................................................................................................

it's hard to get good help these days.....having someone at your beck and call carrying all the necessary condiments is priceless-

Message 9 of 72
Latest reply

pyne-droids1.png

Message 10 of 72
Latest reply