Community Member

I'm still here!!!

YEOW!

WHUT????

Message 1 of 63
Latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

Re: Stupid Is It May Seem???

I think that is a little bit unfair Artful.  A lot of Fayes photos I absolutely love but It's supposed to be a fun weekly challenge and the American photographers are putting up very professional photos with their name on them.  It's not about that.

It's about getting out with your camera (for me) and snapping something that fits the theme and making it a great photo.  If you want everyone to be in awe at your prowess with a camera then yes!  I am, and I've voted for lots of the professional looking ones.

Poddster puts up more repeat photos than anyone anyway so not sure what that is all about.

Joono
Message 21 of 63
Latest reply

Artful, I don't know that a photo challenge on the soapbox would not run into some of the same issues that this one is having. Peoples is peoples.

One of the things I've noticed is that there are a few posters who rarely and a few that never vote for an American entry, which is their prerogative, but it can make one feel that they are not welcomed here. And there have been some entries that had ID's coming out of the woodwork (never voted before or after a particular challenge). And friends who vote only for friends, regardless of the photo(s) submitted. All this is part of human nature, but it can be frustrating and could be deterring some folks from entering the challenges (kind of a why bother situation).

Joono, I agree that it would make it a lot less fun if the professional-looking photos consistently won. At the same time, it can be frustrating to put a lot of time/effort into a photo for a challenge, only to have it come in with a low score because of biased voting.

I wish I had an answer for getting more people to join in the challenges - and still keep it fun for everyone. I think the way kudos are given out (or not) are part of the problem, but then again, it wouldn't be a challenge without them.

Message 22 of 63
Latest reply

Quite frankly I don't know who is an American and who isn't, apart from Joanie. I vote on what I like. Usually if it is a good photo with something else about it...I vote for quite a lot and that makes me embarrassed actually. But I will keep voting for one two or heaps if I like them. Who cares where people are from, it doesn't matter. I haven't been looking at kudos tallys. I enjoy a win and hope that people are voting because they like what they see.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 23 of 63
Latest reply

Amber, sorry if I made it sound like the issue is rampant – it truly isn't. Most posters are more than fair in giving kudos, it's only a handful that make some feel unwelcome.

If everyone followed your lead, I'd be willing to bet there would be more participation in the challenges.

Message 24 of 63
Latest reply

Maybe we could do away with the most kudos being the winner. The thread host could choose their favourite entry and then that person could host the next thread and choose their favourite and so on and so on.

Message 25 of 63
Latest reply

I honestly didn't realise there were undercurrents going on in the photo thread. (must admit I haven't been there much lately - too busy with RL)
I kudo on content and quality. I kudo things that interest me.
(Sorry if this offends, but) I almost never kudo happy snaps of kids and pets - they generally don't interest me.
I certainly don't kudo on who the poster is, or where they live, and, because I never look at who may have kudo'd mine, had no inkling that any sort of bias or skulduggery was going on.

That's sad.
Message 26 of 63
Latest reply

Me either Lurker, but I rarely look at who gives the kudos these days. I don't want to start another fight thread, I was just wondering where Polls went because I like her stuff.

I do think the drop off has a lot to do with posters exhausting their supply of photos. Not many of us make the effort to take new ones every week. Early in the week I will find something in my albums that suit, then try and take something new later in the week. I won't have much time for the next few months though, unless the theme is trucks or cotton. Smiley Tongue

Message 27 of 63
Latest reply

I should add to my kids comment - that may all change when my 2 new grandies arrive in a couple of months. Then you'll all be sorry 

Woman LOL Woman LOL Woman LOL

Message 28 of 63
Latest reply

Lurkers Revenge  Smiley LOL

Message 29 of 63
Latest reply

Most photo challenges with daily/weekly themes require new photos. This one doesn't which is understandable, as there aren't that many posters here, and not everyone can take photo to meet a theme so there wouldn't be many entries.

Photos of cute pets or little kids are always popular and get the most kudos often .. other photos newly taken for challenge might miss out for that reason.
Message 30 of 63
Latest reply