Sugar Tax Could Cut Soft Drink Consumption

A tax on sugar could cut soft drink consumption by 15 per cent and raise $500 million for the budget, recently released economic modelling shows.

Key points:
  • Obesity costs taxpayers $5.3 billion annually, one in three Australians classed as obese
  • A tax of 40 cents per 100 grams of sugar would lift the price of a two-litre bottle by about 80 cents
  • Taxing soft drinks has shown to help cut rising obesity

The Grattan Institute has recommended a sugar sweetened beverage tax to address obesity rates, which have climbed in recent decades.

It has calculated obesity costs taxpayers $5.3 billion annually, with one in three Australians now classed as obese.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-23/sugar-tax-'could-cut-soft-drink-consumption-by-15-per-cent'/80...

Really? The Grattan Institute thinks that soft drinks are the main contributor to Australian's obesity?

What about the rest of the stuff on Supermarket shelves? Dairy, bakery, confectionery?

Would a tax on soft drink manufacturor solve the problem of obesity in australia? Would it deter people from buying soft drinks?

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Re: Sugar Tax Could Cut Soft Drink Consumption

Not much into the fizzy drink, but no, would not deter me, or most of the people I know.

A lot of worse things out there health wise that is for sure, perhaps they would be better targetting those areas.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

as i dont drink soft drink, well not ones that contain sugar it wouldnt bother me.

but it brings up what i said on another thread.

all the talk of lowering the business tax rate has to be gotten back somewhere else, the poor sucker in the street.

even heard them talking about sticking a tax on pensioners.

heard one 'young suit' saying pensioners pay little or no tax! did he forget the GST!

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

heard one 'young suit' saying pensioners pay little or no tax! did he forget the GST!

and all the taxes paid by those pensioners, who IMO have earned a break after years of working.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

yep, they are raising the pension age, telling pesioners to work till they drop basically.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

They are raising the pension age, not the retirement age.   You can retire at any age you like if you can support yourself.

The average pensioner does not pay too much GST on food....they tend to buy fresh fruit, veges and meat which does not have GST.

And pensioners get concessions on a lot of the bills which do attract GST.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

The obesity in countries that already have a "sugar tax" has not reduced at all. Funny how the cost of obesity per year is more than the cost of smoking per year, yet smokers are treated like the lowest life form, while fat people are considered "normal". They are both slowly killing themselves, so why the difference?

The difference is, smokers already pay a huge amount of tax for their habit, which goes a long way towards their healthcare, but not everyone wants to smoke, so only smokers pay. Fat people pay no tax on their habit, but most people like to have a sweet treat at some point, even if it's just a piece of birthday cake. Why should all those people pay for someone else's inability to control themselves?

As someone who's always been underweight, I don't see why I should pay extra for a few treats because others can't stop stuffing themselves and their kids with carp. Wouldn't it make sense to force the fat people to pay a fat tax until they can prove they have lost weight?

Spoiler
Sits back and waits to be shot down for being politically incorrect.
Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Smiley LOL

Can you imagine, at the checkout in Supermarkets, you stand on a scale and if you are over xx kg [according to height etc] you get charged a Fat Tax on all your sweet treats. Smiley Very Happy

Only, how could they prove those sweet treats were for you and not some poor skinny kid's you have at home, who are skinny coz you eat all the food in the house so they don't get a look in.

Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I was thinking more a monthly or quarterly "bill", that arrives in the post like the utility bills. Then you have 14 days to pay and if you don't, "they" come knocking on your door demanding payment. If you still don't pay, they cut your food off. If you want your food reconnected, you get hit with a $50 reconnection fee on top of the outstanding amount, which by that time has accrued interest.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

as i dont drink soft drink, well not ones that contain sugar it wouldnt bother me.

but it brings up what i said on another thread.

all the talk of lowering the business tax rate has to be gotten back somewhere else, the poor sucker in the street.

even heard them talking about sticking a tax on pensioners.

I was thinking along the same lines, myself, Dave.

It's just a justification for another tax. Do they really think it'll stop people drinking soft drinks?

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply