Teacher sacked for putting a student in a head lock despite being punched by the youth

nero_bolt
Community Member

Teacher sacked for putting a student in a head lock despite being punched by the youth says staff are powerless 

TEACHER who was sacked for misconduct including putting a student in a headlock after the youth punched him said the NSW education system left teachers "powerless to discipline kids".

Science and agriculture teacher Stephen Krix was fired from Riverstone High School when he fought back against a year-10 student who refused to work and punched him in the face during a class.

Mr Krix - a "squarely built" 51-year-old who had worked in various public and private teaching roles since 1989 - told The Sunday Telegraph he acted in self-defence when he put the "slight" student in a headlock during a science class in May 2011.

The incident came after the student refused to take off his headphones, told Mr Krix to f*** off several times and punched the teacher when he stood close to him with a worksheet and refused to move

The incident was outlined in the NSW Industrial Relations Commission last Wednesday where Mr Krix lost an appeal against the sacking he claimed was "harsh, unreasonable and unjust".

In an interview with The Sunday Telegraph, Mr Krix, who now works in the security industry, said the public system was failing kids because teachers feared being sacked if they disciplined students.

He said students were leaving public schools without the self-restraint required to cope with post-school life.

It's a joke - that's why people are running to private schools," Mr Krix said.

"Eighty per cent of kids are screwed over by the state system because of a lack of discipline given to a minority of bad kids who disrupt classes," he said.

"You have to have zero tolerance … if a kid is behaving badly in the classroom he needs to be extracted and all the kids that are behaving themselves need to be able to get educated."

In relation to the student, Mr Krix said: "It's not like he's some sort of pathological killer … he's just a kid who needed discipline and wasn't getting it. If he's given the guidelines then he knows where the boundary is".

A NSW Department of Education and Communities representative told the commission Mr Krix should have stood down from any physical confrontation.

The representative said the Teaching Service Act meant that teachers had to respond to situations with the safety of students being the top priority.

more here http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/teacher-sacked-for-putting-a-student-in-a-head-lock-despit...

A very true comment from a poster on that page....

The day will come when no one will want to become a high school teacher...it has been getting worse for years now.

Education will be  via the internet for a teacher's safety .T

he students hold the power .  

Has anyone got the guts to swing this around...I doubt it.

Then again, anyone who wants to become a secondary teacher in the public system ,I guess, deserves all that is coming their way if they haven't heeded the warning signals by now to AVOID this once great profession! 

Message 1 of 242
Latest reply
241 REPLIES 241

Re: Teacher sacked for putting a student in a head lock despite being punched by the youth

@**meep** wrote:

obviously, opinions would be based on the information that is available. 

one thing i am certain of is that there is less respect for the teachers now, than there used to be.

why?

PC Gone Mad

IMO

no parenting gone mad imo.  too many parents are not teaching their children to respect themselves or others or leading by example.  a kid brought up properly does not go around punching anyone

Such is life.
Message 171 of 242
Latest reply

Re: Teacher sacked for putting a student in a head lock despite being punched by the youth

jbj13
Community Member
You cannot just kick them out of the classroom. You have a duty of care to all students anf if this stupid kid left and then injured himself he could sue. A catch 22. LAKES - IF this kid was in YOUR son's classroom and the yeacher did as you say he should, you would be the first to demand why the teacher did nothing to enforce YOUR child's right to learn. More than happy for you to spend a week with me in my classroom to see your eyes opened mate!
Message 172 of 242
Latest reply

The teacher did deserve to be sacked. Why would he feel remorse?

The teacher has a history of belittling students and man handling them. He wasn't sacked for putting the boy in a headlock. 

When he is a parent he will possibly see it differently.

Message 173 of 242
Latest reply

The teacher appealed against his dismissal and he lost.

There were more incidents involving other students considered in his dismissal as well.

Teacher on probation who was given serious warnings before the 'headlock' incident and he ignored them.

Message 174 of 242
Latest reply

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/student-that-punched-a-teacher-who-was-subsequently-fired-...

Another example of biased journalism.

The text of the IRC decision (http://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/action/PJUDG?jgmtid=169247) makes it clear that, the teacher escalated the incident by making disparaging remarks about the student, writing insulting comments about him on the black board implying he was a homosexual, swinging keys in the student's face and getting in his face and refusing to move away when he was pushed. 

I don't want to restart the debate about whether teachers should be allowed to fight back when confronted by students, but the telegraph has over simplified the story such that it appears the assault by the student was occasioned by a mere request from the teacher that he complete the assigned work:  "I don't see asking a student to do his work as provocation … it's me doing my job."

Real life is complicated and full disclosure of the facts does not make for an interesting story.  However, the telegraph article has twisted the story such that it is unture. 

Message 175 of 242
Latest reply

Yes, The Telegraph article isn't worth reading.

Message 176 of 242
Latest reply

Former Riverstone High School student Jarrad O'Hanlon told The Sunday Telegraph he felt no remorse over the 2011 incident which ended the twenty-year career of teacher Stephen Krix.

The teacher was in a new position on probation at this public school. Only a few months into the job and he received serious warnings about incidents he was involved in. Three incidents in total culminated in his dismissal.

Daily Telegraph - The other incidents of misconduct included Mr Krix blocking the path of three students as they tried to run out of his classroom.

89 What I find actually happened is that the three boys had misbehaved; Mr Krix had told them they were not leaving the classroom; they made a bolt for it; he stood in the doorway to prevent them getting out and to give effect to his decision that they should stay behind. When they reached him he grasped at them to attempt to prevent them leaving; the boys, thrown off balance by being held onto - to use his words - by Mr Krix, fell over each other and through the doorway. At that point Mr Krix said either 'bloody idiots' or 'stupid idiots'. The boys suffered some minor knocks in the falling over but I have no doubt Mr Krix had no intention of hurting them.

90 Mr Krix was no doubt right in directing the boys to remain in the classroom, as hey had misbehaved and disrupted his class. He was not, however, entitled to physically restrain them when they attempted to leave. He had been told by his Head Teacher, Ms Fairweather, as early as March 2012 that 'teachers cannot block classroom doorways and they should not obstruct students trying to leave the class' even if there were a disciplinary issue involved: Fairweather affidavit para [42].

91Further, and importantly, by that date he had specifically been directed not to have unnecessary physical contact with students.

92I find Allegation 2(l) made out. It was of itself misconduct and it occurred after the lawful direction Mr Krix had been given on 9 May not to have unnecessary physical contact with students, the breach of which was further misconduct.

Daily Telegraph - The third happened when Mr Krix's students kicked flammable liquid at each other - leaving one with serious burns - after he left the scene of the science experiment to stop a student stealing petrol from his car.

96 On the evidence, Mr Krix had containers of flammable materials in his utility. At one point he saw a student trying to take a can of fuel from the utility. He left the experiment and returned to his utility to prevent this occurring. He retrieved the material the student was attempting to take, and secured his utility tarpaulin.

97 While he was away from the immediate site of the experiment doing this, some students who were not meant to be present, as they were not in Mr Krix's class, were kicking at the pots of flaming liquid. They egged each other on until one boy kicked a pot over; the flaming liquid spilled on three boys. One boy, John Harris, was seriously hurt. He suffered significant burns when his clothing was set alight. The other two were not hurt.

98 It is not to the point that the students involved were not Mr Krix's students. It is not to the point that another teacher had left the students unattended. Mr Krix was in charge of a potentially very dangerous experiment. It was incumbent on Mr Krix to control the experiment and control the students. Mr Krix under no circumstances should have been absent from the immediate site of the experiment while flammable fuels were burning and accessible. He already knew by July that he was at a school where unruliness was to be expected; he had had the experience, for example, of two earlier incidents with Jarrad O'Hanlon.

99 To turn his back on flaming petrol while students - and year 9 boys at that - stood around them was grossly negligent in a teacher. That there was unsecured fuel in his utility on school grounds was also inappropriate, but the central error was to leave the obviously dangerous experiment unattended, even for a minute.

100Mr Krix said in his account of the matter to the Department 'none of the students were misbehaving until that fateful minute'.

101 However, on the evidence Mr Krix brought in his own case that is simply not true.

102 Aaron Dyball, a student brought as a witness in Mr Krix's case, gave evidence in an affidavit that Mr Krix, before going to his vehicle, twice observed students to be kicking at the troughs of flammable liquid and twice told them not to do so. On that evidence, for Mr Krix to then turn his back on the students and go to his vehicle, knowing students were already kicking at troughs of burning flammable material, was a gross failing of his duty of care to the students.

103 That evidence also reinforces the conclusion to which I have been forced, that is, that Mr Krix's account of a number of important matters cannot be accepted. The proposition advanced by Mr Krix that 'none of the students was misbehaving until that fateful minute' is simply, on the evidence, false.

104 Mr Krix also said in his submission to the Department, 'You can be sure that no such injury could ever result again from me running a demonstration of this nature as I would implement additional risk minimisation measures.' That is in part the point. Mr Krix had a direct legal obligation to do everything to protect the welfare and safety of the students. If there were additional safety measures that could have been taken, as both in my view and, from his submission in Mr Krix's view, there were, they should have been taken at the time.

105The Year 9 student John Harris suffered serious burns, but the seriousness of the burns are not the measure of Mr Krix's error. It would have been as serious an error if nobody had actually been burned. The seriousness of the burns suffered was simply evidence of how dangerous and negligent Mr Krix's conduct was. In a classroom teacher it was, I am obliged to say, inexcusable.

106In his oral evidence Mr Krix conceded that he did not give his Head Teacher a risk assessment. He conceded that he did not order the chemicals through the science faculty but procured them himself.

107I find Allegations 3 (a) (b) (c) (d) (f) (g) and (h) made out at the required level of proof. I find that they constituted misconduct.

Message 177 of 242
Latest reply

Yes, he seemed to have blatant disregard for OH&S standards.  To take fuel in a ute to a school with unruly students is negligent.  

Message 178 of 242
Latest reply

@pevjev wrote:

If you are following this and want to object to this teachers dismissal there is Facebook page called Fix Our Schools.

If you have worked in any bureacracy and understand how some of these systems work with some of their organisational flaws  then I suggest you "like" the Facebook page in support in an attempt to bring back common sense into our failing school system. Or you can just continue to "chat" about it, the choice is yours

I've been there and liked it and shared it.

Message 179 of 242
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

The teacher did deserve to be sacked. Why would he feel remorse?

The teacher has a history of belittling students and man handling them. He wasn't sacked for putting the boy in a headlock. 

When he is a parent he will possibly see it differently.

When he is a parent?
 He has sons of his own!

Goes to show how informed you are...

Message 180 of 242
Latest reply