The Oscars Slap

what do we think? was the joke worthy of the slap?

not in my view.

bad taste for sure.

something will smith could have addressed in a civilised manner.

no after thought sorry will cuy it, IMO

he must have the statue taken back

violence cannot be rewarded

Message 1 of 81
Latest reply
80 REPLIES 80

Re: The Oscars Slap

Interesting.

Russell Brand does go on a bit. I’m not sure that the Oscars can epitomise the actions of a person in conveying the decay of civilisation, but he makes an effective point re background, personal perspective, baggage.

Message 61 of 81
Latest reply

What point - background.

Most keep their baggage to themselves - perspective - notice the clip - when Will first heard the ' joke ' - he laughed.Screenshot_20220404-172201_Chrome.jpg

Message 62 of 81
Latest reply

Yes, true, he does laugh initially.

The Brand point is that how people react to that incident/story reflects their own perspective and history / social stance, etc. Russell Brand has a way of saying the obvious while making it seem a little more profound than it is.

Message 63 of 81
Latest reply

Then - I repeat - what did he say. ??

Not much. lol

Message 64 of 81
Latest reply

I watched about 5 minutes of it and quit. Ergh…. I’m not listening to 15 minutes of him rambling on in cryptic babble.  

I doubt that Russell Brandt has anything remotely interesting to say anyway. *yawn* 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 65 of 81
Latest reply

images - 2022-04-04T204305.869.jpeg

Message 66 of 81
Latest reply

I can't listen to it again... Domino, if you want, just listen to the first five minutes of it, and then you've heard pretty much everything - apart from Russell Brand's theory that the Oscars are doomed because the world's now experienced the war in Ukraine, COVID-19, isolation, and more meaningful things.

I'm not sure that he quite gets that there have been meaningful events throughout history, and they haven't stopped some people from hosting or attending glamorous and entertaining events... What's really changed?

Brand has set himself up as a sort of approachable cogent lunatic. He rattles off words so quickly that one needs a Kevlar vest. He's not completely wrong in some of what he says, but that's the starting basis... and then he leaps off that starting basis to extrapolate some bigger theory, taking on the role of the green social conscience of the everyman. Do you remember when he was a comedy partner with Noel Fielding? That was funnier, but even then, Noel Fielding was much more interesting and seriously funny (in my opinion).

Oh well. Brand has changed, and he's got a different sort of following now, and long may he be happy in it.

Message 67 of 81
Latest reply

Having already said ' I couldn't watch the whole ' - it stands to reason some was watched. 

Whatever RB says the Oscars have been a platform for any injustice since 1927 - what's new.??

Message 68 of 81
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

what do we think? was the joke worthy of the slap?

not in my view.

bad taste for sure.

something will smith could have addressed in a civilised manner.

no after thought sorry will cuy it, IMO

he must have the statue taken back

violence cannot be rewarded

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't like Will Smith and I don't like Chris Rock either. It's sad that Smith resorted to this type of behaviour. Actually I'm more annoyed with the profanity that came out of his mouth twice!

Smith does deserve the award for a job well done. He played the part of an important man but he's now cheapened his work in the eyes of others in taking the bait.  This is a blow for African American actors and their credibility! For those who think the hard work has been done by the like of Denzil, Morgan and Samuel, they should look back in history to when things stared to happen for African Americans in film. The back breaking work was done by William Marshall , Sidney PoitierPercy Rodrigues , Al Freeman , and Yaphet Kotto .

IMO these ground-breaking, pioneering actors had more class and presence than any actor Caucasian, African American or otherwise back then and even today!

There are people waiting to pounce on what Smith has done. They want African Americans to look like they are unprofessional. He didn't help either but now the nasties feel they have an excuse.

Message 69 of 81
Latest reply

Oh for goodness sake…… 

You, Chameleon54 and Tasfluer are the only one’s  mentioning race. (Tasfluer kudo your post, so it stands to reason she agrees with you! ) 

No-one is even suggesting that this has EVER been about race. How on earth do you come to that conclusion? 

Chris Rock didn’t say *Jada, looking forward to black GI Jane2!* 
And Will Smith never said *Keep my wife’s name outta your black F******ing mouth*!!! 

So, the fact that both these men, are of colour, you suddenly bring race into it? 

You all should just take a minute and think about that for a moment!!!! 

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 70 of 81
Latest reply