The Urban Dictionary.

Who actually writes the Urban Dictionary? Do entries have to be submitted to  an editorial committee who decide whether or not they are worthy of inclusion or is it a bit like Wikipedia and anyone can put in any word they like and propose a meaning for it?

Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

The Urban Dictionary.

I remember reading that it was started, almost as a joke, but now anyone with a gmail account or facebook could make a post, it's edited by volunteers..

Not sure if thats still happening

Message 2 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

I know very little about  it and never even think to look at it

Thanks youcan, interesting!

are you thinking of adding some new words She-ele? 🙂

Message 3 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

Butt Pepsi's already in it, so I'll have to come up with another one. 😄
Message 4 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

are you thinking of adding some new words She-ele? Smiley Happy

Hehehe; It's tempting Deb. I don't think there many words in the English language that haven't already  been given 'alternative' meanings there. 

Message 5 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

It might be more fun though to start a Social Media  Dictionary 

I could start with my definition of "expertease" - the art of getting up  noses on a chat board without incurring the wrath of the moderator(s) and follow it up with "alien moll" someone who tries to get up noses on a chat board but lacks the expertease to do it successfully.Woman LOL

Message 6 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

@the_great_she_elephant wrote:

Who actually writes the Urban Dictionary? Do entries have to be submitted to  an editorial committee who decide whether or not they are worthy of inclusion or is it a bit like Wikipedia and anyone can put in any word they like and propose a meaning for it?

that's not exactly how wiki works

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia

Message 7 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

Thanks Raptor. In fairness I did ask if it was a bit like Wikipedia; and according to your link, when Wikipedia first started it was: "almost entirely open—anyone could create articles, and any Wikipedia article could be edited by any reader, even those who did not have a Wikipedia account." 

Maybe Urban Dictionary has  evolved, or is in the process of doing so, in the same way. I guess because it is a dictionary of cultural usage rather than an encyclopedia it is less constrained by a need for accuracy.

Message 8 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

Wouldn't  the alien moll entry precede expertease?

Alphabetically, I mean.

Otherwise, there'd be people all over the place getting into a tizz.  Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 30
Latest reply

The Urban Dictionary.

@lloydslights wrote:

Wouldn't  the alien moll entry precede expertease?

Alphabetically, I mean.

Otherwise, there'd be people all over the place getting into a tizz.  Smiley Happy

Is a tizz a two or four wheeled vehicle?

I'll have to look it up      runaway smiley.gif

Message 10 of 30
Latest reply