Tony Abbott's razor gang considered welfare crackdown on 'job snobs' under 30

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-29/tony-abbotts-razor-gang-considered-welfare-ban-for-under-30s/9...

imagine the fallout of this plan

crime up

begging up

homelessness up

suicides up

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

@davidc4430 wrote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-29/tony-abbotts-razor-gang-considered-welfare-ban-for-under-30s/9...

imagine the fallout of this plan

crime up

begging up

homelessness up

suicides up

Youth participation in the workforce up

result ......

Self esteem and confidence up

Financial independence and long term income up

Engagement with society up

The ability to look forward to the future up, rather than a life of boredom, resulting in drug use, financial poverty, and social disengagement.

No I dont actually agree with the proposal, but if there is suitable work available and fit and healthy people ( young or old ) refuse to accept it, because they dont like it,  they should not be eligable for welfare. 

How is it fair to expect people who are working to do extra time at work and hand all of the extra wages over to the person who refuses to work. Because that is effectivly what happens when someone refuses to take suitable employment, relying on welfare instead.

Despite what many think, including Abbotts advisers, I dont think the vast majority of young people are lazy and refusing work. Almost all of the young people I know, want to work and most will take low status jobs in the hope of finding something better as time goes on. Many of the entry level and unskilled jobs of the past are no longer available and the jobs that are on offer are often short term, poorly paid and part time/ low hours. 

BUT as in the past, many of the kids, work hard, do their best, build their skills in the entry level jobs and eventually find fullfilling long term employment. 

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

how many people would have been reduced to no income under this plan?

i'm guessing hundreds of thousands.

are you saying all those people would suddenly get jobs under these rules?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

how many people would have been reduced to no income under this plan?

i'm guessing hundreds of thousands.

are you saying all those people would suddenly get jobs under these rules?

No, What I said was I dont support the scheme and there are not as many entry level jobs as there used to be, so you cant leave the young people who are genuinley unemployed without any form of income. I just think the whole premise of the scheme that there are large numbers of young people who DONT WANT to find work and make future for themselves is wrong. From what I,ve seen even the kids who drop out of school and have little family or community support genuinly want to work.

As mentioned before we have housing trust houses at the rear of our house. One long term unemployed family had a daughter that left school at 13 and couch surfed with friends. A local business offered her a job at age 17 and she has now made a great full time career for herself.

My own kids are both at the stage of entering the workforce as are all of their friends, so I am seeing first hand what is works and what doesnt.

One of the things that is working is the fact that the Libs have made it much harder for kids to get the dole. They have to wait an extended period and then either apply for a ridiculous number of jobs each week or attend work for the dole training schemes. This has had the effect of genuinley forcing the kids to really look for work. Sure its tough love and many people  object to their " rights " to sit on the dole and do nothing being eroded, but from the experiences of my kids and their friends it is working.

The second thing that is workings is providing young dole recipients with proper work for the dole schemes with additional vocational training. I dont mean planting trees or picking up rubbish off of the side of the road, but genuine work experience. One of my sons friends was long term unemployed and frankly pretty unemployable. Dropped out of school, fitted the oversize ear hole stretchers to his ears, a few tatts etc and he just used to sit at home playing xbox all day. He was given 20 hours per week, work for the dole with the local council assisting the parks and gardens staff. He also recieved horticultural training. He recently just got a permenant, full time job as a groundsman at a large interstate holiday park.

Our own lad has been working as a kitchen hand at a local resturaunt. That was the only work he could find. He did a government funded bar course, provided by the Government to under employed youth. Within weeks he had a permenant job as a bartender at a country pup and this week is doing a course to gain his pokies accreditation. Once he finishes that ( tommorow is his last day ) he will recieve a signifigant pay rise and will be left to manage the bar and pokies in the evenings and do the pub close. It might not be for everyone, but it is a goal our son has been working towards for awhile, so he is as happy as a pig in mud and envied by his mates who are still working in fast food joints.

I have plenty of nieces and nephews of similar school leaver age. A couple have needed a good kick up the butt to get them moving, but just about all of them have started work in the cruddy, short term, entry level jobs and worked thier way up to careers.

One nephew left school and started work as a cellar hand at a winery. Hard physical work and no glamour. From there he went into a local bottle shop and within 12 months was working at one of Adelaides most presigous wine sales shops. He is now studying finance at Uni and has been offered a job on completion of his studies at one of the major finance and broking firms.

A niece did school, work experience at a  medical pathology lab and is now employed in the field.

Yes it is tougher for the kids to find work and follow their dreams, than when I left school and unfortunately some fall by the wayside on the journey.  But just about all of the young school leavers I know WANT to work, are prepared to take on the poorly paid, entry level jobs and many are achieving their goals. For the unlucky ones who are struggling, the best thing governments and the community can do is support them, give them training and work experience, encourage them and yes provide them with some financial help through the dole while they do their best to get a foot on the employment ladder.

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

thanks for putting your position, sorry you had to type all that out.

trouble with govt they see a small problem then think up a huge solution.

sure we can go out and find some 'dole bludgers'

usually not very bright unemployed people who most likely couldnt hold down a job if they tried.

but i'm of the opinion there are in the minority but get used by govt to be a reason to reduce money to the majority who are genuine unemployed and cant get a foot in the employment door for a huge number of reasons.

yes our country has a great big welfare system, but, in my view its one of the things that makes our country the best in the world.

up until recently we said 'we care about all our citizens, the poor, the ill, the old, the young, the rich and the rest.

we now seem to have been steered to a nation of people who look at our neighbor and want to know why has he got this or that. is he a criminal? is he ripping off the system? ect ect

we get involved in wars that create refugees then when they turn up on our doorstep we say, NO, you cant come here you Que jumping boat people!

i doubt we will ever know how many people died in those wars we took part in, our politicians have innocent peoples blood on their hands.

in my mind, 911 was a terrible thing, so many lives lost,

but that didnt make it ok to go over to iraq and bomb the carp out of it.

kinda went off topic a bit haha.

rant over

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply