Tour Down Under cyclists braced for a scorcher

i rekon its crazy running a bike race in heat like this!

a lot of there guys and girls have come from areas where the tep is closer to freezing. will it take a death for the organisers to wake up?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-17/stage-one-of-tour-down-under-to-kick-off-in-39c/8187084

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

When I lived in Wagga Wagga some years back, a half marathon was run in heat like we are having now.
One poor man came over from Europe ( freezing temps), sat in the air condioned motel, then went out running.

needless to say, he completly melted down and landed in hospital. Fortunately he recovered.

i can see this happening again but people may not be so lucky.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

And all spectators should be banned from smoking.

One careless butt and there'll be a massive bushfire, putting everyone's lives at risk

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

As a smoker, I must say I agree with you. Common sense tells we smokers to be careful... I'll go without the ciggy in preference to starting a bush fire!!
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have always questioned the wisdom of having our most important sporting events in the summer.

Because it is/was traditional to play cricket in the British summer, why does it have to be carried on here?

And Tennis.....surely it makes more sense to have that in the winter months too unless an airconditioned venue can be used.

It is not just the contestants who suffer....what about the spectators?

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Totally agree Lyndal, just not sure that it could be changed as most players ( particularly tennis)  follow a yearly circuit

Given that most bushfires are started by arsonists or lightning, perhaps they need to be banned as well

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Yes Bushie, I take your point....but I still wonder why it was ever introduced in the first place.

I know my whinging will never change anything but it makes me feel better.

I am not a great fan of any sport so it always amazes me why any sportsperson would want to compete in heatwave conditions which we so often have here in an Australian summer.   And this year is particularly bad.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

I don't follow sport either Lyndal, I can think of nothing worse that sitting in 35 degree heat watching cricket     .... I do agree with you, but not sure how it could be done, particularly with some many other sports being played through the cooler months

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply