Trivial but odd

I did a full load of washing...in cold water.......bedding and towels,   then hung them on the line.

They dried spotless.

Only later  did I realize that I hadn't added detergent.!

Admittedly they hadn't been badly soiled,  but....

How can this be?      Just washing in cold water. 

Any laundry scientists out there?

Message 1 of 22
Latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Trivial but odd

I'm not your scientist.Smiley Very Happy

But while we're waiting, I can tell you a bit about what i have read.

Apparently the soap or detergent acts on fabrics to help release stains and dirt. Something to do with molecules but don't ask me what exactly.  But it is just a helper, making it easier for the dirt to escape. The water & agitation does the rest.

I think myself that it is the scents that are often added to detergents/soaps/shampoos that make as much of an impression on people as the actual clean.

No reason why your sheets and towels wouldn't have had any light soiling removed in a cold water wash but for stains you might find something extra helps.

That's my take on it.Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

Some cleaning can be done with just water. (Water-soluble stains.)

There may also be some powder / laundry liquid residue in your machine, just enough to help.

(In general, people use more washing powder/liquid than they need.)

Message 3 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

images (5).jpeg

Message 4 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

@domino-710 wrote:

images (5).jpeg

Same here, it breeds in my laundry basket

Message 5 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

I use half (sometimes less) of the recommended amount of washing powder recommended.  Everything cleans just fine.

Message 6 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

I've noticed an amazing thing. Since my children have left home, washing is a breeze. Ironing never builds up or if it does, it is the work of 15 minutes, not 1 or 2 hours.

And as for washing powder. I changed over to a front loader several years ago & was warned not to overdo the laundry powder and I find I only buy one packet every few months now.

When the kids were at home, it was more like a pack a week or fortnight if I could stretch it. And every towel seemed to get one use and then thrown in the wash.

Nice if you have someone else doing it, I suppose.Smiley Happy

They don't seem to be so fussy in their own homes, I have noticed!

Message 7 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

@springyzone wrote:

I've noticed an amazing thing. Since my children have left home, washing is a breeze. Ironing never builds up or if it does, it is the work of 15 minutes, not 1 or 2 hours.

And as for washing powder. I changed over to a front loader several years ago & was warned not to overdo the laundry powder and I find I only buy one packet every few months now.

When the kids were at home, it was more like a pack a week or fortnight if I could stretch it. And every towel seemed to get one use and then thrown in the wash.

Nice if you have someone else doing it, I suppose.Smiley Happy

They don't seem to be so fussy in their own homes, I have noticed!

About to find out. Moved my son and his partner into their own little shack today. My 75 mum came around to wish them well and brought a few towels with her as a gift. They where wedding presents given to her over 50 years ago. She had folded them a particular way and put them in a high cupboard in her holiday house. Family and friends have been coming and going from that place for decades, but mum swears the towels are still folded exactly as she left them so years ago. She is certain they have never been used.

We then had to explain to the lads partner with tatoos down her neck and piercings in places that make your eyes water that these where from Nans glory box for her glory box. Whats a glory box ???

Just one of those funny little things that happen in life sometimes.

Message 8 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

I’m guessing it’s the chlorine in the water. I know sometimes when I turn my taps on, I can smell the chlorine additive. Phew!  I don’t particularly like it, but chlorine will remove stains but will also fade coloured clothing over time. 

I make my own laundry powder, but I might give a cold wash no soap load a go and check out the results. 

Your results has intrigued me 😀

imagine the money we would save 👍🏻

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 9 of 22
Latest reply

Trivial but odd

martinw-48
Community Member
Would probably work once.
Most likely there was residual detergent.
Detergent makes dirt soluble by surrounding the particles aiding there release from material.
There is always some residual detergent this is why you can smell it in the dry material.
Once all residual detergent is removed then the dirt would remain in a water only cycle
Message 10 of 22
Latest reply