Violence against women OK.

Muslim leader Keysar Trad tells Andrew Bolt violence against women is 'last resort'

A controversial Muslim community leader has said violence towards women should be a "last resort".

President of the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils Keysar Trad appeared on Sky News last night when host Andrew Bolt brought up domestic violence.

The presenter quoted from the Koran, saying "It is permissible for him (husbands) to beat her (the wife) light with his hands".

"Violence is a last resort," Trad responded.

"Before you even consider using your hand before you consider any act of violence have you checked box number one, which is counselling. Have you checked box number two?

[...]

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/02/23/06/33/muslim-leader-keysar-trad-tells-andrew-bolt-violen...

Given the priapic identity of the alleged religion in question is it any wonder we see such views trotted out from time to time.

I'll bet we'll see an avalanche of criticism directed at Mr Trad after what he had to say. At the same time we'll see a flight of pigs soaring high.

Julia Gillard phone your office.

Message 1 of 97
Latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: Violence against women OK.

Two supposedly holy books! Nah....

Message 91 of 97
Latest reply

Sorry, I deleted my previous post because it was posted in haste.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's often written here about "oh, the bible says this and that" but two wrongs don't make a right. We shouldn't forgive or gloss over the egregious wrongs taught in Islam by reference to our own supposedly holy books which teach similar wrongs.

They are both wrong.

Message 92 of 97
Latest reply

@johcaschro wrote:

Sorry, I deleted my previous post because it was posted in haste.

Two wrongs don't make a right. It's often written here about "oh, the bible says this and that" but two wrongs don't make a right. We shouldn't forgive or gloss over the egregious wrongs taught in Islam by reference to our own supposedly holy books which teach similar wrongs.

They are both wrong.

I don't know much about the history of the Koran, but I suspect, as with the Bible that it reflects the beliefs, values, traditions and understandings of the people when it was written. This is 2017 and IMO we have an obligation to determine what is right and what is wrong based upon the knowledge we have gained from human development. Much has changed since both were written and at least the catholic church is now starting to acknowledge the propaganda that was written into the Bible over the centuries. I would like to think this is progress and that people will continue to develop their own opinions on right and wrong, rather than obey a highly questionable morality from the distant past.

Message 93 of 97
Latest reply

Much indeed has changed since both books were written and I think it is discussions like this which serve to give pause for thought about the issues of what is right and what is wrong.

Is it just good enough to say that because a certain supposedly holy book says something that it must be true?

Are women really inferior to men and should the good women be obedient? And what about the women who refuse to be obedient? Are they therefore, the bad women?

We have an obligation to think for ourselves and if some sort of self-proclaimed holy book says we should act in a certain way when all our human sensibilities scream at us that we should behave otherwise, can we claim as a justifiable defence that we were only obeying (holy) orders?

Message 94 of 97
Latest reply

Now distaff Islam have given their imprimatur to an old fashioned beating within the marriage.

'It's a blessing': Sydney Muslim women discuss a husband's right to hit his wife

Muslim men are permitted to "strike" their women with a small stick or handkerchief, "provided it does not cause pain", according to a new video released from the women's branch of the radical Islamic group Hizb ut-Tahrir.

In a video released by the group on Facebook, two Muslim women discuss the methods and justifications in which a man may be permitted to hit his wife, in accordance with the teachings of the Koran.

The Australian reports one of the women is Sydney schoolteacher Reem Allouche, who in the video tells an audience of 26 women in the west of the city that the husband takes on the role of leader in the marriage.

The teacher speaks of and demonstrates the ways in which a Muslim man might discipline his wife in a "managed way" with the aid of a short stick or a piece of fabric.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/35021579/sydney-muslim-women-discuss-husbands-right-to-hit-his-wife/#pag...

The Koran is not open to interpretation. The Koran opens with: This is the Book about which there is no doubt, a guidance for those conscious of Allah.

So doubt has been removed and it means what it says. On beating a spouse it says: Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand.

That verse allows the use of a baseball bat or a feather; both are correct. There is no time limit placed on the punishment so it could go for a couple of hours.

Message 95 of 97
Latest reply

just more proof there are silly people everywhere.

today we have the ....TA DAH! THE  INTERNET!!

where any silly person can write their silly views for anyone to read.

doesnt make their opinion right, just makes us realise there are people who believe stupid things and arnt afraid to tell everyone.

i remember reading of some bunch of idiots who got together not so long ago in a jungle somewhere cos their 'leader' said they should, then they all took poison to go to a better place.

personally i rekon they are just dead, none has come back sayin he was right come join us.

lots of idiots believe stupid stuff

look at the anti-vaxers. just read about a family grieving their little boy dieing cos they decided to believe some twit on the net who said vaxinations were bad instead of believing the doctors and scientists who have proof vax's work.

of course everything on the internet is true thats why i keep giving money to guys saying my computers got a terrible virus only he can fix.

Message 96 of 97
Latest reply

@davidc4430 wrote:

just more proof there are silly people everywhere.

today we have the ....TA DAH! THE  INTERNET!!

Sorry, my internet ain't working thanks to K Kardashian:

Kim Kardashian's Naked Body Broke the Internet Just Over 1 Year Ago: See More of Her Nude Photos

Message 97 of 97
Latest reply