WIfi only ipad question

My mum is trying to help an elderly lady get connected to the internet. Mrs Wilson has a wifi only ipad and wants to connect at home, what exactly does she need to get? A wireless router?

Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've been googling and I'm getting confused ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

WIfi only ipad question

Cosmo there is this device which is a portable internet wifi hot spot. it can either be post paid or prepaid

and i can be used anywher in australia wher there is a wireless connection :0

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

WIfi only ipad question

The only internet connection I have is wi-fi and I have a telstra modem.  You can also geta dongle that plugs into a usb port and you can also get prepaid ones.  Office Works have them and probably all the providers.

photo 214a93fa3a9e326200857a2dbc30e730_zps379416e4.jpg
Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

j*oono
Community Member

I think so, but she will need an account with an internet service provider.  I have a wifi only iPad that I can connect to the internet because I have a plan with iinet.

I can also use it to connect with other peoples router too if they give me their password to do so.  If she doesn't have internet at home then it can't be done.

Joono
Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

Hmmm, probably listen to Sandypas.  I have heard of those dongle thingos but know nothing about them.

Joono
Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

Thanks Sandypas and Joono, I don't think ipads have usb ports, so I think it will have to be some kind of modem thingo at home. There's no pc, smartphone or anything like that there, if there was I could help ๐Ÿ˜„

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

To use a dongle you need an iPad with a port to connect it into don't you? You can use your iphone as a hot spot I hear but I don't know how?
Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

@mugssy65 wrote:
To use a dongle you need an iPad with a port to connect it into don't you? You can use your iphone as a hot spot I hear but I don't know how?

Mrs Wilson doesn't have a smart phone to use as a hot spot but I can help you with that Mugssy. I know how to do the hot spot thing with my iphone, comes in very handy when my son has chewed through our broadband data!

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

Cosmo there is this device which is a portable internet wifi hot spot. it can either be post paid or prepaid

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

@poddster wrote:

Thanks Poddster, is this a battery operated thing that you would only plug into the wall to charge? This would me it's portable and it could be taken away from the house if needed? I think this is the kind of thing that would be most suitable, do you know if they are easy to configure/setup?

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

WIfi only ipad question

Yes cosmo fully portable and it can be charged from a waal socket or a car with a usb adapter.

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply