We Don't Want You Back!

Australia PM rules out leniency for ex-jihadists

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has ruled out any leniency for returning jihadists following reports that three of its nationals suspected of fighting with Islamic State were in secret negotiations with Canberra to come home.

The Australian newspaper said the three had approached authorities via intermediaries or family members, but that the talks were stalled over what punishment they would face and fears of the risk they might pose if they were reissued passports and allowed to return.

The news has sparked a fierce debate in Australia about whether or not to allow those who have left the country to fight with ISIS or other groups to return. The public and the government appear to be in lockstep in their opposition to the idea.

A lawyer representing one of the three Australian men told Fairfax radio that his client, an Australian-born convert to Islam, was prepared to face the full force of the law and wanted to use his experience to discourage would-be jihadists from joining the terror group.

Rob Stary said if he were capable of rehabilitation, "then we should utilise him, we should at least engage in the discussion, but the shutters have been put up by the (Australian Federal Police)".

Entire Article Here

Oh he wants to use his experience to counsel would-be-jihadists against joining ISIL, does he?

How do we know he's not a Trojan Horse and instead is instructed to recruit fresh meat?

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: We Don't Want You Back!

Who cares, millions of Australians don't want them back and are more than happy with the way it's being handled.

Circumstances change and a sensible governments react to those circumstances. Not like Rudd and Gillard who were crippled because they couldn't make a decision in the best interests of the country. They opened our borders to God knows who and were too weak to do anything about it.

Empty moral outrage? double standards, false analogies and excuses is all you hear from the left.

450 illegal immigrants have been deported from Australia since last July, rapists, wife killers, violent attackers of women and children, liars and criminals,  all thanks to Rudd and Gillard, are now no longer enjoying the benefits of our country, I don't hear any whinging about that.

Now the left is trying to blame the PM,  personally, for the situation up north, the immigrants from Bangladesh and Myanmar,  they are saying we should take them, this after Indonesia and the rest of the countries refused to do so, this after Indonesia assisted and abetted the 50,000 illegal immigrants to come to our country, they made millions out of it.

The left, in their efforts to destroy our govt and the PM and they are being seen now for what they really are.

Our govt has stated emphatically it  will not accept or resettle these people in Australia.

Just waiting for the conflated outrage, empty high dudgeon, and double standards from the left.

Message 31 of 59
Latest reply

I repeat, who cares? did they care when they went to join the ISIS aka the death cult?

Message 32 of 59
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

@idlewhile wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

Does Abbott even know what he is talking a out most of the time?

No charges for suspected foreign fighters Matthew Gardiner and George Khamis

Two Australian residents suspected of travelling to the Middle East to assist in the battle against Islamic State have not been charged with any offences weeks after returning to Australia.

Tough new laws passed by Parliament last year, which include life sentences for those who participate in hostile activities overseas, were drafted to apply equally to those on all sides of foreign conflicts.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott has said that anyone who returns to Australia after becoming a foreign fighter will be arrested and charged, after reports emerged that three Australians who joined IS in Syria or Iraq are in talks with the government about potentially returning home.

"A crime is a crime is a crime," Mr Abbott said.

"If you go abroad to break Australian law, if you go abroad to kill innocent people in the name of misguided fundamental extremism, if you go abroad to be an Islamist killer, well we are hardly going to welcome you back into this country."

Comprehension issues?

I have no issues with comprehension and insults are uncalled for.

Message 33 of 59
Latest reply

"The Foreign Fighters Bill passed Parliament in October, making it illegal to travel to areas declared as terrorist zones, without a specific humanitarian or family purpose."

Family purpose? to protect family, that is the reason this clause was inserted into this bill.

So your argument that the 2 allowed back should be jailed is  wrong.

Message 34 of 59
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

@idlewhile wrote:

The majority of sensible, decent Australian people are more than happy with the govt's actions on this so far.

Opinions aren't facts.

The above opinion is not fact.

yes, the above is a fact.

majority of sensible australians do not want

terrorists here.

majority of sensible australians agree with the pm:

“there is no place in our society for people who have been radicalised and brutalised by participation in these terrorist movements”.

majority of  poll results look like this:

http://www.news.com.au/national/courts-law/three-australian-men-associated-with-islamic-state-and-ja...

Total Votes: 50,708

Message 35 of 59
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

@idlewhile wrote:

Obviously they were not jihadis, did not join the death cult of isis, did not participate in head whacking and all the other atrocities, they were actually fighting against ISIS, in my opinion along with and many, many other Australians,  they should be given a medal.

Good on them.

You opinion is not the legislation that was introduced though. They did say that the law would apply equally to all who went overseas to fight, regardless of which side they joined.

"The Foreign Fighters Bill passed Parliament in October, making it illegal to travel to areas declared as terrorist zones, without a specific humanitarian or family purpose."

They had a specific purpose that didn't include joining ISIS, that is why they have been allowed back. They deserve a medal.

Message 36 of 59
Latest reply

@idlewhile wrote:

did they care when they went to join the ISIS aka the death cult?

How did they know it is a "death cult"?  Because our pm said so?  Or because we are being told on our TV?  Well, I guess, it would be fair enough, however if you believe what you are being told now, did you also believe what you were told when the Syrian conflict started?  Because, in that time ISIS were brave "freedom fighters", fighting against tyranical Al-assad according to stories on our TV news.  My Syrian friends who hate Al-assad were considerably more worried about ISIS taking over.  So, please idlewhile, explain to me what did you believe when we were told that ISIS are the good guys (they never were), and how can you trust the media that what they are telling us now is the truth.  The ISIS propaganda says that what we see on our TV is the infidels' propaganda, and is part of the anti Muslim campaign.  Young people can be easily persuaded of conspiracies; actually there seem to be all sorts of people who believe in all sorts of ridiculous conspiracy theories. 

Before you attack me for being ISIS sympathiser, I can assure you I am not, and I was worried about them when they were still considers the goodies in Syria.  But I can sympathise with young vulnerable kids who get hooked by the ISIS recruiters, landed in middle of the horrors, learned their lesson and want to come home.. 

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 37 of 59
Latest reply

Quite frankly, it would be better for Australia if they did come back.

no. not allowing them back is a better

deterrent - otherwise what message are 

you sending to the would be jihadists?

Firstly, the intelligence they will be able to provide our government would be invaluable.

i don't believe so.  isis  would've made sure

of that.  they wouldn't be coming back if they

had invaluable information.

Message 38 of 59
Latest reply

idlewhile
Community Member

670022-5a96b548-fd9b-11e4-9430-4717fa7bce71.jpgIbrahim,doesn't look like a nurse does he.

95.79% out of 50,000 Australians voted to not let them back into the country they turned their back on to join ISIS.

Message 39 of 59
Latest reply

so what do you think these young people

thought they were going to be doing over there?

Message 40 of 59
Latest reply