Wheel clamping in Perth

Wheel clamping in Perth's City of Stirling is so bad even the parking inspectors get clamped

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-12-06/photo-of-parking-inspector-getting-wheel-clamped-sparks-debat...

another wonderful impor from the land of the free?

yes i know its private car parks but i for one would not shop at any shopping place that uses clamping or towing your car away.

i'm surprised anyone does

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Wheel clamping in Perth

I was reading a report that some car parks here in melb issue traffic/parking fines, but that they are not legally enforceable. That a lot of people pay because they think it is the real thing and don't read the small print.

I suppose if someone clamps your car wheels though, it doesn't leave you with a lot of options.

If they are that worried about people's parking, there are better ways to deal with it.

For instance in the city there is a car park which is quite expensive (parking costs in Melbourne are hefty, believe you me) BUT if you buy something in one of the stores near that parking area, you are given a coupon and that cuts the cost down to only $21.

Which gets me to the second point. These places just need to install boom gates.

People grab a ticket as they go in, pay into machines as they are leaving.

I went to Costo in town. 2 hours free parking, but overstay by a minute, $15 charge and more for every half hour or so thereafter.

Something similar would work a treat in Stirling. It wouldn't necessarily stop people overstaying the 2 hour limit, but if they did, they would pay heavily for the privilege. I think they'd find most people wouldn't do it twice.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Wheel clamping in Perth

I had to deliver a presentation a few months ago and was very late in arriving at the destination because of traffic problems. There were no available spaces to park so I pulled into a small shopping centre car park. A sign stated the car park was for customers only and cars parked without authority may be towed away. The presentation  was to last about 6 hours so I didn't want the issue on my mind.

Somewhat panicking, I ran into a small shop and purchased a soft drink. I asked if I qualified as a customer and if my car would not be towed away. The woman laughed and said she had not known of a car to be towed away in the 20 years she had worked there. So I think the signs alone are enough for reasonable people. But in fairness, what are they to do when unreasonable people abuse the parking conditions?

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply