Which car?

We've recently sold my car and are looking for a cheap farm hack/shopping trolley/animal transporter to replace it (e.g., our last lot of calves were brought home in the back of our luxury cruiser :^O - far too good a car for us country bumpkins, so we sold it). It must be 4wd as parts of our property can only be accessed by a 4x4.

Only want to spend around $4-$5k on it, it's a second vehicle and won't be doing huge mileage, so would what would be the better buy; a later model Land Rover/Jeep Cherokee, or an earlier model Nissan Patrol/Landcruiser/Pajero?

Or what about a Holden Jackaroo?

We need a fairly large 4x4 as I bring home several bags of feed and bales of hay crammed in the back, so don't want a small townie 4x4.

Grateful for any opinions or info about the most reliable older 4x4 and what would be cheaper for servicing and parts.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Which car?

a mate picked up a 93 nissan patrol for 3 grand, i was very surprised on the condition and low kms too.

apparently thats what they fetch:O

i like the patrols, had a newbie short wheel base in 86

Signatures suck.
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

Nissan Patrol GQ / Ford Maverick 4.2 litre non turbo diesel  ....... unstoppable...... mine climbs trees ๐Ÿ˜› .....enough room for 4 or 5 calves in the back (mine is 6 goat "tested") when the rear seats are down

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

whereas I can only get two in the Zuke cino

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

Good morning Dave---my eyesight is not 100%-

but is that a cane toad on the dash in the pic?................Richo.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

Good morning Dave---my eyesight is not 100%-

but is that a cane toad on the dash in the pic?................Richo.

looks like it.... I must have  picked it up when I went to "Queensland" to post the other day

.... Bowraville is in Queensland  ๐Ÿ˜ apparently X-(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbgShiaal6E

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

Good tips on vehicle selection Dave.

Some 4x4s are very expensive to repair.

Had another look at the pic--it might be your fat wallet!

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

Thanks gents, looks like it is as I suspected, the older trusted brands still rule. Shame, because I wouldn't have felt like such a bumpkin in a newer car like a land rover. But must put my wallet before my pride.

Interesting you say the Ford Maverick, I had looked at a couple of those, but they are really really old; i.e., early '80s, and there don't seem to be many around. Was also wondering about parts availability and rust? 

We recently sold our old Ford Bronco, which I just loved, but there was too much rust in it for us to repair cheaply enough. Was such a simple motor that my hubby could fix near anything in it  - not full of electronics the way the modern motors are. 

You have a beautiful property, Viewmont.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

I know a few people with early to mid 90's model pajeros that are still going strong. You can pick them up pretty cheap nowdays. Maybe not quite as big as a patrol though.

photo screen-1-1-1-1.jpg
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Which car?

for the serious off roader? - landrover (apparently)

Ive always liked the nissan pathfinder too - for the styling. another one that you could also consider

Signatures suck.
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply