Why are there still so much hostility towards immigrants?

Almost half of the Aussies want immigration reduced. What is it about immigrants that people dislike or are scared of? What does that say about us in general?

How does increase immigration benefit are harm you specifically?  Is it any immigrants or are you more for or against a particular nationality?

Discuss.

Message 1 of 27
Latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Re: Why are there still so much hostility towards immigrants?

I think the main thing we should focus on is behaviour.

Individual behaviour.

I'm not a fan of judging whole groups or whole races of people by the actions of a few.

But where someone is violent or engaged in serious criminal behaviour, they need to own it. No excuses.

And suffer the consequences.

If they are Australian we have no choice but to lump it and pay out for jail time for them.

If they are not Australian though and are  fairly recent migrants, then we have choices and my choice would be they lose their entitlement to live here.

Not talking about everyone of that culture, just the actual individuals involved.

Message 21 of 27
Latest reply

I do agree with you in the most part springyzone. Yes, recent immigrants, if they stuff up badly then the door should perhaps be shown. Sadly though things do get clouded with certain politicians playing on people's fears for political gain.

I despise racist and racism. And a certain pseudo political party that I won't mention is nothing more than a disgrace in this day and age. For people who openly express racial hatred etc., perhaps Singapore styled justice should be incorporated into the sentence.

Message 22 of 27
Latest reply

It may seem a stretch, but a similar sense of "us vs them" may arise in political views, especially in political group memberships.

It's a tricky situation. I can observe the potential and actual problems that arise with adversarial positions and groups whose members are glued together by similar views, but how can I ever exclude myself from this very human propensity? In observing this, in having my own particular worldview and opinions (albeit that some of my opinions change in the light of new data), am I not intrinsically disposed to some of the same behaviour?

One of the aspects of my worldview is that the instant we begin to judge others, whether it's for THEIR JUDGING OTHERS or for any other views and/or actions, we put ourselves into the judgement block. I don't think that this is capable of being resolved. I do think that there are views and actions so egregious that we as human beings must judge - but we fool ourselves if we think the line is drawn in the same place and in the same way for every single person. I also think that judging ourselves, i.e., scrutinising ourselves, in at least an attempt to be non-partisan is good practice.

Message 23 of 27
Latest reply

@4chan quoted:

Well, what could be said about Caucasian people, Anglo Saxons in particular? Well, if they were never sent here and were allowed to breed then we wouldn't have???? Well, we wouldn't have white men involved in criminal activities like we have now. We wouldn't have corrupt politicians, rapists, murderers, violent thugs, narcotics importation, bikie gangs, perverted pedophile priests an established irremovable criminal underworld like we have now.

Um, we wouldn't have anything..................The first people of Australia would be living thier lives peacefully and happily without white mans intereference and we wouldn't be having this discussion coz, well..........

and I don't understand your reasoning at all.

Message 24 of 27
Latest reply

I thought 5G pacifism - with a Singapore touch. lol

Message 25 of 27
Latest reply

@the_bob_delusion wrote:

Almost half of the Aussies want immigration reduced. What is it about immigrants that people dislike or are scared of? What does that say about us in general?

How does increase immigration benefit are harm you specifically?  Is it any immigrants or are you more for or against a particular nationality?

Discuss.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

When you said "are scared of? ", you had it. OK, well fear is often something that comes about by what people have been taught. For Australia to shed the remnants of its past shameful racist policy needs an overhaul in politics. There are certain politicians who have with bad intentions played on the fears of voters for gain. They including a former PM should have been booted out politics. Setting an example in politics is a good starting point.

Message 26 of 27
Latest reply

@katistrophik wrote:

@4chan quoted:

Well, what could be said about Caucasian people, Anglo Saxons in particular? Well, if they were never sent here and were allowed to breed then we wouldn't have???? Well, we wouldn't have white men involved in criminal activities like we have now. We wouldn't have corrupt politicians, rapists, murderers, violent thugs, narcotics importation, bikie gangs, perverted pedophile priests an established irremovable criminal underworld like we have now.

Um, we wouldn't have anything..................The first people of Australia would be living thier lives peacefully and happily without white mans intereference and we wouldn't be having this discussion coz, well..........

and I don't understand your reasoning at all.

--------------------------

I don't believe that would be the case at all.

Australia is a large place, there is no way it would have been left alone for the last 200 plus years.

The world just doesn't work that way. If it had not been the English, it would have been some other group and not necessarily anglo saxon either.

It is not that long ago (in historical terms) that the Japanese were getting ready to invade.

The thing that I see pop up a lot in discussion is the fact that amongst white people, there are criminals, murderers and all manner of other bad behaviour.

At the risk of sounding like a crim myself-so what?

Two wrongs don't make a right. And for every atrocity or criminal activity committed by white people, you can find just as many committed by people of every other background. And I do mean every other background.

All it proves is there is good and bad in every group.

I think that at the moment, there is in  our culture a certain attitude that we need to keep apologising for past behaviour or that it somehow makes whites worse than other groups. We need to get over it.

f you've read up on WW2, some of the commentaries say the Japanese (sorry to harp on about them again but it is just an example) committed atrocities equally as bad as the Germans but they have flown under the radar.  We don't hear the Japanese apologising very often and we don't go around expecting them to. In fact, quite the opposite, we hear how evil the allies were for daring to fight back.

We don't expect the Japanese to be ashamed of their own culture, most of us see their past in a historical context. ie make excuses for it.

In the same way, I think we need to go a bit easier on our own past and see it in context.

And as for migrants, judge on individual behaviour only.

But back to the original comment- the aborigines would not still be hunting and gathering, oblivious to the 21st century. That just isn't a possible scenario. And they have their fair share of criminals too, just like everyone else. Nor can they go back, most of the modern aborigines could no more survive that way than the rest of us could. This is 2021, we have to get on with it.

Message 27 of 27
Latest reply