Why can't we just make these types of dogs illegal? ?:|

A 49 year old jogger is lucky to be alive after being mauled by some loose American Staffordshires this week. He was so badly injured that the paramedics could see through his chest to his heart. One of the dogs didn't even let go of the mans torso when a passerby trying to help smashed the dog over the head with a concrete pot.

Here is the article: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/dog-owner-fined-four-months-before-jogger-attacked-20130527-2n6p8.html

Yes I know any dog could be feral if in the wrong hands or if it is neglected. And yes I know that the stats show that a significant number of reported dog incidences come from dogs other than the dangerous breeds.

BUT! The ones that do the most damage are the one that bite and hang on while doing the death shake. And those breeds are well known. In NSW by far the biggest rate of attack occurs from breeds such as the animals in the article. 

So why not just ban them?

And why oh why would any sane person think that this type of dog is an acceptable pet? Particularly if they have children?

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

mugssy65
Community Member

Because it won't stop there next it will be pit bull terriers then English bull terriers then Staffordshire bull terriers I have owned these breeds for years and NEVER had one be anything but an ideal family member. Ban these people from owning dogs.

Message 2 of 78
Latest reply

Something has to be done about them, I wish I had an answer.  I think people  who own these type of dogs says more about them.

Message 3 of 78
Latest reply

Did you have a pack or just one, Mugssy?

Just curious. They attack worse in a pack than a single dog would.

I have been attacked by a type of bull terrier. It's not a pleasant experience. It attacked it's owner when he tried to stop the attack. We both went to casualty to get patched up.  Fortunately there were another bunch of neighbours outside who managed to restrain the dog eventually.

Message 4 of 78
Latest reply

I forgot to mention. I heard today that the lovers of these dogs are fighting the police application to kill the dogs.  Not good enough in my opinion.  Once they have decided they want to eat people they keep trying.  Next time it might be a child or an old person.  They would be killed.  These dogs need a death sentence. 

Message 5 of 78
Latest reply

mugssy65
Community Member

Right now have have two female Staffies, I have always had two.

I used to be a registered breeder of border collies and I am a qualified obedience trainer, although I don't teach right now. 

From what I have read the dogs were surrendered and PTS this afternoon I also believe this was the correct thing to do. 

Message 6 of 78
Latest reply

Right now have have two female Staffies, I have always had two.

I used to be a registered breeder of border collies and I am a qualified obedience trainer, although I don't teach right now. 

From what I have read the dogs were surrendered and PTS this afternoon I also believe this was the correct thing to do. 

I didn't notice that the first time I looked.

The owners are the problem. Some tease them, taunt them and teach them to be mean for their own amusement.

Message 7 of 78
Latest reply

The owners are the problem. Some tease them, taunt them and teach them to be mean for their own amusement.

And a lot of them ignore them. And then say they're great dogs when they bust out and do damage. All the dogs want is attention, they think if they do something out of their ordinary lives their owners will interact.

Message 8 of 78
Latest reply

mugssy65
Community Member

Totally agree with you Nev, my girls are indoor dogs with me 90% of the time, we have a doggy door so they only go out to the loo. Staffy's like most dogs just want to be part of their pack, they need to know their place is at the bottom of the pack BUT also that they belong to it.

Message 9 of 78
Latest reply

The dogs are unpredictable. Simply because of their genetic makeup. 

No amount of training can take this instinct out of them.

Add into the mix an owner that doesn't know what they are doing and it creates a death waiting to happen.

Muggsy - I am sure you are responsible and your girls are behaved. But as you most likely know, many of the types of people that are attracted to owning staffies are not exactly at the top of the food chain. It's a lethal combo.

Message 10 of 78
Latest reply