Do  women's have rights under islamic law and sharia law

Seems women have near zero and below zero rights under islamic and sharia law

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Women's rights under islamic and Sharia law

idlewhile
Community Member

Womens rights, gay rights and western culture is incompatable with Islam.

Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

I'm sure this can't possibly be just another Muslim bashing thread and both you  and Nero are deeply and genuinely distressed at the plight of all these women.  Unfortunately though since we don't live under Sharia Law in Australia there is no authority here for you  to complain to. Maybe, if you ask us all nicely we could take up a collection and send you both to Saudi Arabia so you can stamp your little feet in front of  the government there.

Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

I think I have covered the answers to this in many  previous threads on CS on the same topic... will pass this time.

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

@nero_bolt wrote:

Actually these women do have rights. They are simply different rights to what you are used to.

And in fact islamic women have rights that many other religions/cultures do not - the most obvious being in regards to dowrys and inheritance.

Womens rights (and this generally applies the world over) have little to do with religion but nearly always to do with patriarchal societies.

And lets not forget the irony that whilst we bullied our first female prime minister out of office, islamic countries are those most likely to vote in a female head of state (Benazir Bhutto and Khaleda Zia immediately spring to mind).

Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

And by the way - how many countries have Sharia Law? And which of those do these laws only apply to women?

And aside from a couple of countries that have applied misguided laws and (we) call it sharia, which Sharia Laws are actually not acceptable to you? Cause as far as I can see they are about on par with other religious teachings.

Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

@nero_bolt wrote:

I was reading this earlier, you might find it of some interest.

http://thesaladbowl.kinja.com/i-am-so-tired-of-being-used-as-an-excuse-for-racism-and-1652102614

Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

@nero_bolt wrote:

"Do women's have rights ....."

Now I don't profess to be the grammar police, but that just looks wrong.

If you can't get that bit right, then gawd help us.

prostate cancer ribbon Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

@cosmosgrove wrote:

@nero_bolt wrote:

I was reading this earlier, you might find it of some interest.

http://thesaladbowl.kinja.com/i-am-so-tired-of-being-used-as-an-excuse-for-racism-and-1652102614

Great piece of reading.

Unfortunately it will be too articulate and intelligent for some in the community and will be pushed aside in favour of something by Pickering.

However the last paragraph about sums it up:

When I practice Islam, I am practicing Western values because Western values sanction the freedom of religion, the freedom of though, and the freedom of expression. Stop using me for your selfish racist rhetoric that will probably end up oppressing me. I feel more oppressed in that way than I ever could under Islam. Give some of that freedom you think I need so desperately.

And also this line which about sums up why threads like this even exist:

I also know that you're concern probably isn't really for Muslim women, but instead the reaffirmation of you own supposed cultural superiority.

Hit the nail on the head.

Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

I also know that you're concern probably isn't really for Muslim women, but instead the reaffirmation of you own supposed cultural superiority.

Well I'm just one of those people who believe that women should be treated equally to men and have the same rights.

I do feel that my culture is superior to one in which a woman can expect the half of a man's share in inheritance and that holds that a woman's testimony in a court of law is worth one quarter of a man's.

I suppose I am one of those cultural snobs. Sorry about that.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply