Woolies Ends ANZAC Day Campaign

Woolworths takes down Anzac 'Fresh in our Memories' website after social media backlash

Supermarket giant Woolworths has ended a controversial Anzac Day campaign that saw the company's logo and the phrase "Fresh in our Memories" placed over the images of former soldiers.

freshin.jpg

The campaign, which the supermarket chain insisted was not a marketing move, drew strong criticisms on social media and sparked memes that hijacked the concept.

Late on Tuesday Woolworths took down its Fresh in Our Memories website.

"We regret that our branding on the picture generator has caused offense, this was clearly never our intention," Woolworths said in a statement.

Entire Article Here

What Woolworths marketing guru ever thought it would be ok to use Australia's most revered and emotive event in the history of the country as a marketing opportunity?

For Shame.

Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

How many stores make and sell ANZAC bikkies?

Message 2 of 40
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

Did you know that the word ‘Anzac’ is protected by legislation?

In 1921, Protection of Word ‘Anzac’ Regulations were put in place to protect the word ‘Anzac’ from inappropriate use. It is not permissible to use the word ‘Anzac’ in connection with any trade, business, private residence, boat, vehicle or charitable or other institution, or any building, without the authority of the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs.

Use of the word ‘Anzac’ is generally approved by the Minister for ‘Anzac biscuit’ and ‘Anzac slice’. However, use of the name also comes with conditions, including the commitment of the product’s sellers to conform to the traditional recipe and shape. Other uses generally approved include the names of committees formed to plan Anzac Centenary events and businesses situated on a road, street, avenue or highway that includes the word 'Anzac'.

woolworths did not have permission to 

use it in their advertising campaign.

Message 3 of 40
Latest reply

Do the people who name their children Anzac need permission?

personally I don't see an issue with the ad.

Message 4 of 40
Latest reply

really?

the fresh food people 

fresh in our memories

woolworths logo

most people, actually everyone i have

spoken to thought it was at the very least -

inappropriate.

Message 5 of 40
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

Do the people who name their children "Anzac" market them under that name?

How sad for you.

Big retailers like woolies and coles, who squeeze the aussie farmer to the brink of bankruptcy to keep their prices low,  then use the the very historical event Aussie are most sensitive and emotional about, as a marketing platform is despicable IMO.

Besides, the ANZAC name as per Julia's post:

"Did you know that the word ‘Anzac’ is protected by legislation?

In 1921, Protection of Word ‘Anzac’ Regulations were put in place to protect the word ‘Anzac’ from inappropriate use. It is not permissible to use the word ‘Anzac’ in connection with any trade, business, private residence, boat, vehicle or charitable or other institution, or any building, without the authority of the Minister for Veterans’ Affairs.

Use of the word ‘Anzac’ is generally approved by the Minister for ‘Anzac biscuit’ and ‘Anzac slice’. However, use of the name also comes with conditions, including the commitment of the product’s sellers to conform to the traditional recipe and shape. Other uses generally approved include the names of committees formed to plan Anzac Centenary events and businesses situated on a road, street, avenue or highway that includes the word 'Anzac'.

woolworths did not have permission to

use it in their advertising campaign."

Message 6 of 40
Latest reply

In bad taste------like some of the fruit and vegies....................................Richo.

Message 7 of 40
Latest reply

@this-one-time-at-bandcamp wrote:

What does that have to do with anything?  ANZAC biscuits have historic connection to the WW1 soldiers, albeit tenuous

http://unibicanzacbiscuits.com/about-anzac-biscuits.html

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 8 of 40
Latest reply

@azureline** wrote:

i dont believe so.

1. No person shall, without the authority of the Minister, proof whereof shall lie upon the person accused, assume or use the word ‘Anzac’ or any word resembling the word ‘Anzac’ in connexion with any trade, business, calling or profession or in connexion with any entertainment or any lottery or art union or as the name or part of the name of any private residence, boat, vehicle or charitable or other institution, or any building in connexion therewith. Interpretation: Entertainment includes any exhibition, performance, lecture, amusement, game, sport or social gathering held or conducted for the purpose of raising money.

1A. Subregulation (1) does not apply to the assumption or use of the words ‘Anzac Day’ in connection with an entertainment held on 25 April in any year . . .

3. The Registrar of Trade Marks shall:

(a) refuse to register as a trade mark any word the assumption or use of which in connexion with any trade, business, calling or profession is prohibited under subregulation (1) of this regulation; and

(b) unless otherwise directed by the Minister, cancel any existing registration of any such word as a trade mark, and refuse to take any step or further step in connexion with any application for the use of any such word as a trade mark.

4. The Registrar of Designs shall:

(a) refuse to register as a design any word or mark the assumption or use of which in connexion with any trade, business, calling or profession is prohibited under subregulation 

(1) of this regulation; and

(b) unless otherwise directed by the Minister cancel any existing registration of any such word or mark as a design, and refuse to take any step or further step in connexion with any application for the use of any such word or mark as a design.

Can you name your child Anzac?

5. The Registrar-General or other proper officer of a State charged with the registration of firms and companies may:

(a) permit any firm or company which has been registered under a State Act, and in the name of which there is included any word the use of which in connexion with any trade, business, calling or profession is prohibited under subregulation (1) of this regulation, to amend the name of the firm or company by the omission of that word, and, if the firm or company so desires, the substitution of any other word or words; or

(b) cancel the registration of any firm or company which refuses or fails to apply within a reasonable period for the amendment of its name.

PROTECTION OF WORD ‘ANZAC’ REGULATIONS- REG 3 Prohibition of word ‘Anzac’ as name of street, road or park

1. A person shall not, without the approval of the Minister, use, in naming a street, road or park, the word ‘Anzac’ or any word resembling the word ‘Anzac’ as the name or part of the name of the street, road or park.

2. The last preceding subregulation does not apply to or in relation to: (a) the naming of a street, road or park in which, or in the immediate vicinity of which, there is situated a public memorial relating to the war which commenced on the fourth day of August, 1914, or the war which commenced on the third day of September, 1939

Message 9 of 40
Latest reply

@icyfroth wrote:

@azureline** wrote:

Do the people who name their children "Anzac" market them under that name?

I have no idea....... but I did see a program where a guy was talking about his son, who was named ANZAC and I wondered.

How sad for you.

It's not sad for me, it's just my thoughts. I was unaware that I needed to see a problem with it, thought I could choose.

Thank you Julia.

Message 10 of 40
Latest reply