Woolworths investigated

Woolworths investigated after admitting it underpaid 5,700 staff up to $300 million

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-30/woolworths-underpays-5700-staff-up-to-300-million-dollars/116...

now when i see the adverts telling me how they are delivering cheaper prices i know its because they are under paying the staff!

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Woolworths investigated

And I won't mention the self service checkouts...we customers will be unloading the trucks and stacking the shelves for Woolies soon!!
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Woolworths investigated

@the4masters2013 wrote:
And I won't mention the self service checkouts...we customers will be unloading the trucks and stacking the shelves for Woolies soon!!

If that happens, lets throw out the mouldy stuff before it goes on the shelves. Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Woolworths investigated

@davidc4430 wrote:

Woolworths investigated after admitting it underpaid 5,700 staff up to $300 million

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-10-30/woolworths-underpays-5700-staff-up-to-300-million-dollars/116...

now when i see the adverts telling me how they are delivering cheaper prices i know its because they are under paying the staff!

I know I,m grumpy and cynical, but the same thought crosses my mind whenever I see a Woolworths advert. I did notice they seemed to pull all advertising for a few days after the story broke and are now only running with fresh produce ads that don't mention price.

I,m sure their is a whole team of damage control experts running around behind the scenes advising Woolworths management on how to limit brand damage. NEWS FLASH GUYS ..........ITS TOO LATE.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Woolworths investigated

@davidc4430 wrote:

Not a fan of WW or coles, I only buy the odd thing from either of them, much prefer shopping in Aldi

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Woolworths investigated

I've got 3 supermarkets within about 50 paces at our local shopping centre and they're WW, Coles & Aldi.

I always shop at Aldi first, but there's no way I could do all my shopping there. It just doesn't have the range and it often doesn't have the products at all. For example, there are probably about 70% more herbs & spices available at the big two.

So I'd hate to see Coles or Woolies go under. They are open longer hours and have a lot more range of stock.

On some things too, the prices are similar.

With regards to pay, I think what must be happening in some businesses is things are getting too complicated as far as the wage structures go. You'd think with computers it would be more automated though, at least in the big companies.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Woolworths investigated

Guess it depends on the grocery items you need to buy. They are all 30km away from me, so I tend to shop for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. I find that most items I buy are available at Aldi, there are some I prefer to buy at WW or Coles but not  that much. Dont use much in the way of bottled/packet H n S's as I tend to grow my own. The ones I do use, I tend to keep a good stock of, along with everything else I need to use/cook between shopping trips.  Longer opening hours dont meant much to me, as I tend to shop mid morning, so Aldi's opening hours suit me.

The benefit of living so far from the 3 main supermarkets is that I cant just pop in to get a cpl items and end up buying far more than I intended, so I tend to save quite few $$$ 

I dont want to see any of the supermarket disappear but they MUST pay their staff the correct wages or face the consequences

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Woolworths investigated

i think the point is, not happy with driving pretty much all competition out of the area these huge companies are so greedy they look for any way to get an edge on each other.

with the introduction of 'workplace agreements' its so complicated no one knows if they are being underpaid and the companies are taking advantage, skim a little her and there no one will notice.

and dont for one moment think its just woolies doing it, they are all doing it, they just havent been caught yet.

and when they get caught we hear the same garbage, it was an oversight, a technical glitch in the software, human error ect ect ect.

all the while the adverts are running 'we are the caring sharing company, buy with us we are better than the other guy'

no your not, your just as greedy as coles and aldi and foodland ect ect.

we saw it with the banks in the 'royal commission we didnt need - scomo'

we are seeing it in the old folkes homes roryal commission

its allways money first.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Woolworths investigated

I guess we're in a different situation as I could  walk to our shopping centre (not that I do). I used to be able to see it from my family room side window before the trees grew. It probably has made us lazy in that if I am cooking something and suddenly discover I don't have an ingredient I thought I had, I quickly pop up to the shops. It doesn't happen often but it has happened I have to admit.

You're perfectly right, businesses should be paying staff the correct wages.

The one thing I am noticing is that we aren't seeing cases where businesses have accidentally overpaid people for years. You'd think if mistakes are made, they would be made both ways.

I think wages are the top of the iceberg. I was reading in the paper on the weekend that-I think it is next month?- there is going to be an amnesty on employers who have not been paying super contributions.

I think that is absolutely appalling. I have a friend whose son worked for a small business & discovered his employer had not been putting his money into his super for soemthing like the previous 3 years. That employer was eventually fined over it (for a different employee). I think he just paid the fine ($10,000) but continued not to pay into super. The fine was cheaper.

Why should be be able to claim amnesty next month and have all fines or back payments wiped? My friend's son doesn't work there any more, hasn't for a few years now, but others there said his non payment (often of wages, holiday pay as well as super) continued.

From what i have seen, working conditions are often worse in small businesses. The law is one thing, being able to make employers follow them is often quite another.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply