Yep. American gun laws sure are neat.

A country where evryone has a right to be armed. Including those with a criminal history.

The ease in which things like this happen doesn't seem to worry them does it?

http://www.smh.com.au/world/man-shot-woman-son-after-they-laughed-at-him-in-car-police-say-20150403-...

Message 1 of 123
Latest reply
122 REPLIES 122

Re: Yep. American gun laws sure are neat.

i have thrown a bag of frozen peas at my sister once in an arguement. Proud to say they smacked her right in her head 🙂

Message 71 of 123
Latest reply

Frozen peas is a great weapon and you can eat them later.

Poddy is always right just like joanie, good Bracket there 

Message 72 of 123
Latest reply

@chuk_77 wrote:

i have thrown a bag of frozen peas at my sister once in an arguement. Proud to say they smacked her right in her head 🙂

lucky you didn't have the intent to kill her, cos man those peas are deadly when in the hands of the wrong person!!

Message 73 of 123
Latest reply

Very dangerous those peas and the bag could break, then there would be Pea all over the floor, and we allow we cant eat them after that. 🙂

Message 74 of 123
Latest reply

shhhh, lets not talk about intent *wink wink

edit for bad spelling 

Message 75 of 123
Latest reply

@lionrose.7 wrote:

Very dangerous those peas and the bag could break, then there would be Pea all over the floor, and we allow we cant eat them after that. 🙂

dont worry, i would make sure there would be no pee pea on the floor

Message 76 of 123
Latest reply

@lurker172602 wrote:
Joanie you keep telling us how your country and its culture would be destroyed if your guns were taken away. That makes it appear to me to be a pretty fragile society if that is all that is holding it together. I think you do your fellow Americans a disservice.

She does have some valid points if her emotive rhetoric didn't disqualify them.

The US do have a culture where they have a right to own a gun. The real issue is how to reverse that right without causing harm to the general population. As Jeanie says, reversing the right will take the guns away from law abiding citizens, but it is unlikely to make much of an affect on those who don't hold the law in the same esteem. They will still have guns and will have a greater opportunity to use them with immunity and without discrimination. This will have an effect on the stability, safety and personal freedom of society.

I do not believe in the ownership of guns for the reasons of self protection simply because it undermines another, more powerful right, that to be assumed innocent until proven guilty (in most cases, there are exceptions to this principle). The intent behind the US gun laws was for protection of society/country, not the individual, and they were made before the US had a purpose specific defence/police force charged with that purpose.

Its now that US citizens misinterpret that right to mean they can protect themselves as individuals. Only a select few members of society have permission to determine guilt or innocence and in the US, this is done through the process of a fair trial, so to have members of the general public making such decisions (ie for home invasions, self defence) is in breach of their personal human rights. (14(2) of the ICCPR I think)

Jamaica introduced some very strict gun laws with perilous results. It is an indication that instant reversal of the gun laws, in a land where posession has been/is seen to be a personal right (even though it is not) may not produce the most favourable outcome.

I think that this is the balancing act with which the US government is faced. Keeping in mind that as a constitutional right, the legislature cannot arbitrarily disarm its citizens, they need a referendum for that, just as we do in Australia when we want to ammend our Constitution. The government can however legislate for the protection of the individual, and remove the access to guns from some people. But as the general public misunderstand that their right to bear arms is for the protection of the country, and not themselves, it is unlikely that a referendum would be successful.

This is a link to what happened when Jamaica introduced gun restriction laws. Note that even without the general public having ready access to guns (or those that do requiring permits etc) their homicide rate still remains at 52.2 per 100,000, whereas the USA sits at only 4.8 in comparison.

Rate of Homicide by Country

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_death_rate

Firearms Act (Jamaica) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearms_Act_%28Jamaica%29

Politics behind the gun laws http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_politics_in_Jamaica

The results on society following the reversal of the gun laws http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/jamaica.htm

Message 77 of 123
Latest reply

@i-need-a-martini wrote:

@softail-joanie wrote:

1. You think people are dying from guns now?, wait until police and military are the only ones with them. 

2. Yes, it's tragic when children get killed but you know whats even more tragic?, those children living as slaves to corrupt sadistic tyrants. 

1. Then how to explain the phenomenom of countries like Australia where people AREN'T being gunned down left, right and centre. Where the rate per capita is immeasurably low compared to the US. Where the rate of murder through guns dropped significantly when we got serious about gun law enforcement. EXPLAIN THAT!!

Explain Jamaica 52,3 per 100,000 intentional deaths - they have strict gun laws ('1 for suicide)

Australia has never had the specific declared right to posess a gun, so legislation was able to remove such a right with greater ease and lower repercussion. It was never an expectation that Australian's could posess a gun.

The explanation lays in the misinterpretation of what that right to bear arms was actually intended for (protection of country) and what the general american public perceive that right to mean.for themselves now.(protection of the individual)

Interesting to note that the rate of intentional death in australia is 10.7 per 100,000 (as does Germany), UK 11.8, Switzerland: 11.8, New Zealand, 14.1 (13.2 suicide) and the US 16.8;(12 suicide) China 23.23. Greenland has a massive 127.3 - and they all have gun laws

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_death_rate

Message 78 of 123
Latest reply

@idlewhile wrote:

Tell it to Obama, the cool cat who only wants to jive walk around the world, lecture other countries and all the while ignore the gun laws in the USA.

He had his chance to do something but he squibbed it as usual, not a popular move his adviser's told him.

Executive power? only when it suits him.

What powers do the president of the United States have to change the Constitution and the Bill of Rights?

Message 79 of 123
Latest reply

As Jeanie says,............

Who is Jeanie?

Message 80 of 123
Latest reply