cats and scrunchies

There is an interesting  article on the ABC news site on a  new finding that it is very effective to put a bright hair scrunchie on cats to stop hunting  of wildlife.It says that a 2 year study has shown the bright colour can cut down by 50% the amount of dead wildlife.My boy is in disgrace  over the killing of a  dove and is now in a bell collar.I may try a bright scrunchie if he learns to quiet his bell.

Very interesting  I thought 

Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

cats and scrunchies

Where would you put the scrunchy, hopefully not around the cats neck, unless it was loose.

Message 2 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

It has been said that bells (on cats) make no difference whatsoever.

Message 3 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

@lionrose.7 wrote:

Where would you put the scrunchy, hopefully not around the cats neck, unless it was loose.

lol where else would you put it?

And of course you wouldn't put one on tight enough to strangle the poor thing.

Although that would be another way to help save wildlife from cats, I suppose.

Message 4 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

Although that would be another way to help save wildlife from cats, I suppose.

Yes you could do that to humans as well seen they are the most destructive thing on this earth for killing off wild life.

Message 5 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

@amalan11 wrote:

There is an interesting  article on the ABC news site on a  new finding that it is very effective to put a bright hair scrunchie on cats to stop hunting  of wildlife.It says that a 2 year study has shown the bright colour can cut down by 50% the amount of dead wildlife.My boy is in disgrace  over the killing of a  dove and is now in a bell collar.I may try a bright scrunchie if he learns to quiet his bell.

Very interesting  I thought 

Interesting idea.  First you have to have a cat that will wear one.  Some cats hate collars of any kind.  Scrunchies can be quite stretchy so they are probably safe to wear if chosen well....the problem being that they might be too easy to remove.

Cats can move very well without a bell making a sound.  Sneaky creatures....which is why my cat is an andoor pet.  I had one cat, pedigreed, who had spent most of her life indoors or in a large cattery with big enclosed runs.  I let her outside a few times.....until she caught a bird.  Being the 'posh' and tidy cat that she was, she immediately brought it inside and put it in her food dish!  Luckily the bird was only stunned so I was able to put it outside where it immediately flew off.  After that the cat was confined to killing spiders, moths and (the funniest sight of all) tossing thawed out chicken wing tips around the place until they were 'dead' then eaten.  Sometimes she spent so much time hunting a chicken wing that at a lull in the battle my other cat would creep in grab it and eat it.

Message 6 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

Zanadoo my cat is a Ebony Oriental, she goes out side but I shut her in after 8.30 at night.

She has bought in the odd Sparrow, always alive, I find the best thing is to put the bird out in a tree to rest then they fly away.

I am lucky by the beach we dont have many native birds she can catch and NZ does not have all those beautiful Parrots like Australia.

The most damage to wild life I saw in  Australia was done by Dogs not cats.

Message 7 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

One comes over here to escape

the cat people on the FH&G forum,

and what do you get ? ...........

A CAT THREAD !

Message 8 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

Tas and I hereby request more photos of Lillicat ..........please?

Message 9 of 25
Latest reply

cats and scrunchies

Brighton I will try to get new ones, she does not like the flash on the camera

Message 10 of 25
Latest reply