caught at last

With the awful terror attack in London this case seems to have taken a low profile ,

A 63 year old security guard from melbourne  has been arrested  over the abduction and murder of 3 yr old Cheryl Grimmer in NSW in 1970.

Im really glad they have got an arrest and hope he is the guilty person at last. What gets me is if he is responsible, he was a main suspect back at the time, I wonder what his life has been like.According to the police he abducted raped and strangled her when he was 16.

I am dubious you could commit such an awful crime and then go through life without  commiting more crimes of a similar nature.Its quite amazing really .He has 3 grown children and id guess to be a security  guard must not have a criminal record.

I will be interested to see how the courts treat him as the offence was so long ago , he was refused bail so hopefully he will serve time , child abduct murders are about as heinous as crimes go but if he can convince a court he has changed  I wonder what they will do.As he was 16 he has his identity protected .

tragic but interesting  case legaly 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

caught at last

if they can prove he did it beyond doubt hang him

BUT

lets see the evedence stand up in court.

arresting someone is one thing, proving he did it is another. lets hope its not another lyndie chamberland case where we end up saying "OOPS"

so long ago, gawd the lawyers will have a field day.

Message 2 of 14
Latest reply

caught at last

I too wonder how his mind and emotions have been. I6 is pretty young to commit such a crime. I guess if he has any real humanness then he may have been tortured all these years. But if he's more of a psychopath, then he probably has no remorse and has slept well for decades. Of course this is if he is guilty.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

caught at last

A police spokesman said the little girl had suffered a shocking and  horrific death, which suggestes to me, since her body has never been found, that the man must have made some kind of confession. I think he is under psychiatric assessment at the moment - presumably to see if he is fit to  plead - and I'm wondering if he is planning to plead guilty.

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

caught at last

He's probably just a "lone wolf" with "mental health issues".

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

caught at last

@amalan11 wrote:

I am dubious you could commit such an awful crime and then go through life without  commiting more crimes of a similar nature.Its quite amazing really .

Then of course we don't know if he hasn't committed more such crimes.     I don't think the little girl's body has been found. It's very  curious as to why  he has been arrested after all this time. 

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

caught at last

@johcaschro wrote:

He's probably just a "lone wolf" with "mental health issues".

Probably. As far as I know there has been no suggestion he had accomplices - and even if you were legally sane, you'd have to be pretty screwed up mentally to commit a crime like that.

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

caught at last

@bright.ton42 wrote:

@amalan11 wrote:

I am dubious you could commit such an awful crime and then go through life without  commiting more crimes of a similar nature.Its quite amazing really .

Then of course we don't know if he hasn't committed more such crimes.     I don't think the little girl's body has been found. It's very  curious as to why  he has been arrested after all this time. 

I think he may have trurned himself in.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

caught at last

If we're going to speculate,  he was a person of interest at the time apparently.

Perhaps they opened a cold case and questioned him again.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply