have out-of-pocket costs to visit a GP have gone up under the Coalition?

Kristina Keneally says out-of-pocket costs to visit a GP have gone up 25 per cent under the Coalition Government. Is she correct?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04-08/fact-check-mediicare-out-of-pocket-costs-kristina-kenneally/1...

for me definately, visits to the doctor were free, now i pay $22 per visit, and i visit a lot.

and scripts have risen from about $3 to over $6 now, and i have a lot of scripts, a trip to the chemist often costs over $30

i'm not saying these charges are unreasonable, just how mush this govt has clawed back from a single person on a pension.

i know many were abusing the 'free' visits, since the $22 charge came in i now no longer have to wait an hour to see the doctor, 10 - 15 minutes is normal, and the waiting room is almost empty.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have no idea about costs rising.....my local GP still bulk bills so our visits are completely free of charge.

The chemist however is a different matter....one script alone is $39.00 plus.  Luckily that one lasts 2 months and all the others are less than $10.00 each.

Pensioners don't know how lucky they are really.

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I think it depends where you go but no, I don't think the out of pocket expenses have risen 25% above what they used to be.

I have a few places I attend. The usual one, which i attend because it is close by and has a selection of good doctors, I have always paid about half the cost so my out of pocket expense is about $37? Something like that. It has been in the $30's for years.

I also have attended a bulk bill superclinic in a suburb not too far away. I was actually outraged the first time I did so. I noticed most of the staff and patients looked to be of migrant origin, which is fine. We're in an area where a lot of refugees and other migrants have settled so you would expect that.

But what annoyed me was when i went to see the doctor, he was very unwelcoming, asked a lot of personal questions and told me I should be going to my 'own doctor or clinic', why was I going there?

Excuse me? I pay my taxes like everyone else and if i wish to attend a different clinic to be bulk billed, I will. To be fair, he was the only one who treated me like that and since then, I suppose my record shows I have been there a few times and I don't get the third degree.

But i distinctly got the impression from him that because of the fact I was an employed anglo saxon, he didn't think I should be there.

But the problem is just because someone might have work, it doesn't make them wealthy and it depends on how often a person needs to see a doctor that counts. I see some merit in a small out of pocket charge to make people think twice about if they really need to see a doctor. Anything that is totally free can be abused.

But if a person or family has constant need to go to a doctor, that and the prescription costs soon add up. I know there is a 'safety net' but it is too high.

I'll give you an example of what i see as unreasonable. My daughter had to have an MRI scan. She is married with 2 children, one income and the price was over $300, so she rang around and found a place that bulk billed.

I have a friend whose husband had prostate cancer and who needed-I think it was an MRI scan or something of that nature, would have to check with her again for exact details-and he was told that they were not allowed to bulk bill for that condition and that they would be up for all the cost as there was no health fund rebate either.

This is where things need a shake up. She could understand no bulk billing but there should have been some health care rebate available.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

I'm hanging out for them to PBS a combined paracetamol/caffeine tablet.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

@joztamps wrote:

Taking the paracetamol tablet with my morning coffee seems to work  Woman LOL

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

I have a friend whose husband had prostate cancer and who needed-I think it was an MRI scan or something of that nature, would have to check with her again for exact details-and he was told that they were not allowed to bulk bill for that condition and that they would be up for all the cost as there was no health fund rebate either.

Hubby was diagnosed with prostate cancer back in 2006.  Had an MRI, underwent surgery to remove the prostate, then had radiation and hormone treatment.

Not one cent came out of our pockets.

It returned in 2010 and more tests and treatment.  Still no out of pocket expenses for treatment.

He's been clear since, and I can't praise the Austin Repat Hospital enough. 

He still has checks and tests done for free.

We are always bulk billed.  The only time I've paid for medical was when I needed cataracts removed, and I didn't want to be on the waiting list for 3 years.

You can lose your sight waiting that long.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

@wide-world-of-stamps wrote:

@joztamps wrote:

Taking the paracetamol tablet with my morning coffee seems to work  Woman LOL

Yes, but why settle for 2nd-best?

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

The medical centre I last visited charged a fortune IMO - somewhere near $40 in out of pocket costs and the doctor was horrible.

Now that I am housebound I need a doctor that makes daytime home visits and there are NONE in my area and beyond.  I've phoned them all and I've discovered a few things - there are places that advertise online that they make home visits but they only mean retirement complexes, some will only visit 'existing patients' and won't take on any more, and there are others who say 'sorry we don't do that any more' but they don't update their website.  I've offered to pay more but they aren't interested.

My 'regular doctor' if you can call him/her that is whoever comes out for the after hours (ie after 6pm) home doctor service.  I've found every one of them to be marvellous and they bulk bill.  The downside is they are not allowed to write scripts for more than one supply and one repeat.  They also might not turn up until really really late at night.  These doctors have been very efficient and a lot kinder and helpful than the nasty piece of work I saw when I was able to get to a local medical centre.

I wish the government (whichever it is) does more about getting doctors to  provide home medical services.  Sigh.

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Now that I am housebound I need a doctor that makes daytime home visits and there are NONE in my area and beyond.

I  recently had hip replaced and had home help/personal carrer for few weeks.  They told me they also do transport people, like going to doctors and to rehab sessions.  You should see what sort of help is available in your area.

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

@*kazumi* wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

Now that I am housebound I need a doctor that makes daytime home visits and there are NONE in my area and beyond.

I  recently had hip replaced and had home help/personal carrer for few weeks.  They told me they also do transport people, like going to doctors and to rehab sessions.  You should see what sort of help is available in your area.

My mobility issues are mostly due to my legs though I do have other problems.  I can't actually bend my legs enough to get in to a car - there simply isn't enough space for me to bend them.  This is one of the reasons why I can no longer drive.  My car is a two door which means more space to get in but on good days while I can JUST manange it on the driver's side, it is impossible as a passenger as the right leg is the hardest to bend.

I also tried the wheelchair taxis (though I use a walker) and I found the folding seats in the back of those are exceedingly low.  Once I've more or less fallen into the seat I can't get up again without help...and drivers are no longer allowed to help lift passengers.

I've no doubt there may be help available (though most would be a paying prospect as I am not old enough for say, council funded aid) but I've yet to find the right vehicle for transport.  They can't be too low, they can't be too high, they have to have loads of leg space and the vehicle owner has to be prepared for the prospect that I might need to put one food on the inside open car door and push like hell to get myself in.  Not too many would like that and who can blame them.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply