misinformation vs disinformation vs propaganda

What is your take on these? How can you tell if an article or site is either of these three? 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

The first method is to apply some logic and if it sounds pheasible dig a bit deeper

The second method is to ask and to listen to posters on C/S

The first method is a bit more reliable 🙂

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Hehe Poddster, good point. I just wonder if people know it when they see it. 

Disinformation is the big problem.  It is deliberate and misleading information propagated to influence public opinion.  

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

Govt sites - not propaganda (not everyone would agree with that.. the conspiracy theorists)

Mainstream media - more accurate than a 'blog' which is just one persons opinion

Social media - Facebook - Official sites (e.g. NSW Police) reliable. Non-official sites - not reliable info - posts are rumour.

Propaganda - sites with an agenda, conspiracy theories,  very light on facts.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

SH-W, there are none so blind as those who do not want to see.

Pretty silly way to be but it exists in great abundance 😞

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

Govt sites - not propaganda (not everyone would agree with that.. the conspiracy theorists)

The definition of propaganda is: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view or The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

Nothing there sound political at all?

(Not that I'm anti-govt just concerned about disinformaton etc 🙂

Mainstream media - more accurate than a 'blog' which is just one persons opinion

Dont mean to be picky but some blogs have references to alot more sources than mainstream articles I've read.  Many mainstream articles dont even have footnotes, and they too are often only one persons opinion.

Social media - Facebook - Official sites (e.g. NSW Police) reliable. Non-official sites - not reliable info - posts are rumour.

Facebook is full of rumour and unreliable information.

The govt sites dont have an agenda? 

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

@am*3 wrote:

I think the lines are somewhat more blurred than that, for example, not all blogs are just one person's opinion and of those that are the work of one person they are not by necessity just their opinion.. They could be a scientist recording data as evidence for a research project or could be chronicling an event or expedition.

The mainstream media can contain a combination of all the above (list in title).  With the news stories there'll be published press releases which could be propaganda, misinformation or disinformation.  The publisher should check their sources but often don't and often don't want to because they do like to set the agenda to suit themselves or face time constraints that cause laziness in reporting.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

@poddster wrote:

SH-W, there are none so blind as those who do not want to see.

Pretty silly way to be but it exists in great abundance 😞

Is that because of false dichotomy though?

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@secondhand-wonderland wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

The definition of propaganda is: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view or The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

Nothing there sound political at all?

(Not that I'm anti-govt just concerned about disinformaton etc 🙂

Dont mean to be picky but some blogs have references to alot more sources than mainstream articles I've read.  Many mainstream articles dont even have footnotes, and they too are often only one persons opinion.

Facebook is full of rumour and unreliable information.

The govt sites dont have an agenda? 

The govt websites provide a public service and usually just contain the facts as required.  I think you're confusing them with political party websites.

facebook is full of a mixture of unreliable, opinion, well sourced information, recordings of events and hearings, leaked documents, research, propaganda, disinformation, baby photos, recipes, home handy hints, for sale ads and whatever else anyone wants to share.  It's not all unreliable rubbish.

propaganda sites are usually easy to pick once you scratch the surface, often because they just don't stand up to the most basic scrutiny.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

It is because of what a person truly believes and what they admit to believing. There is the mutual exclusive dilemma

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply