misinformation vs disinformation vs propaganda

What is your take on these? How can you tell if an article or site is either of these three? 

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

@poddster wrote:

It is because of what a person truly believes and what they admit to believing. There is the mutual exclusive dilemma

But if a person only has a choice of 2 alternatives, what they believe will always be considered wrong if sits outside of those alternatives. 

Imagine the chaos if we all admitted to what we truly believe. There'd be alot of very offended MIL's Smiley LOL

Message 11 of 16
Latest reply

@gleee58 wrote:

@secondhand-wonderland wrote:

@am*3 wrote:

Govt sites - not propaganda (not everyone would agree with that.. the conspiracy theorists)

The definition of propaganda is: information, especially of a biased or misleading nature, used to promote a political cause or point of view or The systematic propagation of a doctrine or cause or of information reflecting the views and interests of those advocating such a doctrine or cause.

Nothing there sound political at all?

(Not that I'm anti-govt just concerned about disinformaton etc 🙂

Mainstream media - more accurate than a 'blog' which is just one persons opinion

Dont mean to be picky but some blogs have references to alot more sources than mainstream articles I've read.  Many mainstream articles dont even have footnotes, and they too are often only one persons opinion.

Social media - Facebook - Official sites (e.g. NSW Police) reliable. Non-official sites - not reliable info - posts are rumour.

Facebook is full of rumour and unreliable information.

Propaganda - sites with an agenda, conspiracy theories,  very light on facts.

The govt sites dont have an agenda? 

The govt websites provide a public service and usually just contain the facts as required.  I think you're confusing them with political party websites.

facebook is full of a mixture of unreliable, opinion, well sourced information, recordings of events and hearings, leaked documents, research, propaganda, disinformation, baby photos, recipes, home handy hints, for sale ads and whatever else anyone wants to share.  It's not all unreliable rubbish.

propaganda sites are usually easy to pick once you scratch the surface, often because they just don't stand up to the most basic scrutiny

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you think the government ever spreads disinformation or propaganda about anything?  

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply

@secondhand-wonderland wrote:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Do you think the government ever spreads disinformation or propaganda about anything?  

Yes, I do but usually on their individual pages rather than on official govt sites, in this country at least.  There are exceptions but largely they are informational or interactive, such as the Motor Registry, Medicare, the BOM or the ABS sites..

Message 13 of 16
Latest reply

No wonder my MIL always walked around with dark cloud and lightening around her

I kinda like being unattached now that my kids have grown up 🙂

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Message 14 of 16
Latest reply

gleee58
Community Member

Speaking of disinformation...

Message 15 of 16
Latest reply

#massdebate lol 

So you wouldn't class, say the liberal party's website, as a govt site?

Message 16 of 16
Latest reply