And don't want to go near a shop for a while

Until I feel safe to avoid the impulse to buy

A packet

Not easy that's for sure

Message 1 of 281
Latest reply
280 REPLIES 280

Re: quiting smoking

Go and get the Champix from your doctor. I was heavily addicted, 2 days on Champix I never smoked again, it completely turns off the receptors in your brain that craves nicotine.

l actually didnt take the whole course,  thats how good  it worked.

I had Crazy dreams but I liked it...lol

Message 31 of 281
Latest reply

Thanx another poster mentioned

Champix

Will give it a go if things get

Too hard

If your not in australia

You'd be shocked at the price of

Cigs here

Message 32 of 281
Latest reply

I still smoke in my dreams sometimes, then I wake up feeling really guilty 😄  It's part of it.  As for the depression it is also temporary but beware, it could go on for some months.  Not every day but some are bad.  You are giving up part of your old life but you get over that too.  Seven months and you are out of the woods.  I know 7 months sounds awful but smoking is a serious addiction.

I would urge you to not stick a nicotine patch on.  Nicotine is what you are trying to give up so why absorb it through your skin.  My brother used Champix and smoked again within two months so basically you have to rely on your own will power and through encouragement from other ex smokers.  Champix causes health problem for some people too so you have to be a bit careful with that.

Joono
Message 33 of 281
Latest reply

opmania wrote: 

If your not in australia

You'd be shocked at the price of

Cigs here

Exactly the same in the UK, Op. Prices are astronomical. A packet of B&H is damn near ten quid. And of course every yearly budget, the government hike the prices up another ten/twenty pence. Always the top of their list. You can guarantee it.

Message 34 of 281
Latest reply

I know what you mean Emb.  My sister and I told each other that we would have just one on our 80th birthday but frankly I doubt that I could afford it.

Joono
Message 35 of 281
Latest reply

One morning at work, 28 years ago, I quit cold turkey..........by 3 PM, I was in Cardiac Intensive Care with a major heart attack.

Haven't had the slightest desire for a ciggie since then............

Message 36 of 281
Latest reply

So you stopped smoking and then you

Had a heart attack

That sux

Were you a  really heavy smoker

How carpy would it be if you stopped smoking

And died of a heart attack

Good on you for not smoking again

And all the rest out there

Had no idea the re was so many of you

Well I do feel better this morning

A new day as you say

Message 37 of 281
Latest reply

Good morning opmania.   You're not alone.   I worked out now how much money I've saved in the 17 years of not smoking

and could go and buy a new car.  Now being a reformed smoker I detest smoking  with a vengence.  Can't tolerate being close to someone smoking, or even the smell of it in their clothes and breath.   You don't realise until you give it up how the smell lingers in clothes, hair, etc.     Also there are not many places you can actually smoke these days.  I know it was one of the best things I have

done in my life, giving up the habit.  

tip toe through the tulips
Message 38 of 281
Latest reply

Good morning tulips

17 years at current prices and I will be able to buy a 

Lamborghini

$15 ×365 ×17 

That's a lot of moola

Message 39 of 281
Latest reply

@tulip*place wrote:

Now being a reformed smoker I detest smoking  with a vengence.  Can't tolerate being close to someone smoking, or even the smell of it in their clothes and breath.   You don't realise until you give it up how the smell lingers in clothes, hair, etc.  

Yes, and of course there's no one worse than a reformed smoker, for pontificating on not smoking. Always much more vociferous and vocal than someone who has never smoked. Short memory springs to mind.

Edit: Forgot your quote.

Message 40 of 281
Latest reply