"Fake Tradie" is the Real Deal

Real Tradie Andrew MacRae says he is going to enjoy his five minutes of fame and ignore the “keyboard warriors” who have mocked the election ad he stars in.

Speaking from his Lane Cove home, the 50-year-old told the Daily Telegraph his friends and family had been worried for his well-being after unions launched a vicious social media campaign against the Liberal Party’s TV ad.

But he tried to put the #FakeTradie row to bed once and for all by proclaiming: “I am the real deal.”

Mr MacRae hit the limelight as the star of the Liberal Party’s prime time commercial featuring him in a high-vis vest on a building site, alleging that the opposition has declared war on banks, mining and blue-collar workers.

‘Bill Shorten even wants to go to war with me. Someone who just wants to get ahead through an investment property. I reckon we should just stick it through, and stick with the current mob for a while,’ he says in the 30-second ad.

The ad was quickly ridiculed on social media yesterday with some accusing the government of hiring an actor, questioning the tradie’s expensive-looking watch, the layout of his building site and even the ceramic cup he was holding..

It quickly became a leading topic on social media with #faketradie trending on Twitter. A twitter account @FakeTradie was even created, pouring further scorn on the advertisement.

Next it was the unions to have their fun with #faketradie, producing their own ad criticising Malcolm Turnbull before the government stepped in to confirm the star of the ad was actually a real tradie.

Mr MacRae said critics were “foolish” and “crazy to push a lie”.

“My friends have been really concerned for my well being but I am not an actor and I am freaked out by all of this. 

“I do property maintenance and one of my clients was an advertising agency and they got me involved.”

Mr MacRae said he has never been a member of the Liberal party and laughed off suggestions his clothes were too clean in the commercial.

“The whole this is crazy, I’m a tradie and I work all over Sydney.”

Mr MacRae is a metalworker by trade but is also involved in the real estate industry.

“My mates think this is the funniest thing,” he said.

“I’m not going to let it get to me, I’ll just enjoy my five minutes of fame and get on being the real tradie.”

http://www.news.com.au/national/federal-election/fake-tradie-andrew-macrae-tracked-down-to-north-sho...

It appears the ALP not nothing to it's credit other than trying to discredit the LNP!

Sad indictment for a party wishing to gain the trust of Aussie voters!

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I mean, who cares if he was real or not. So many ads use actors.

I don't see a reason for this childish nonsense.

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

I know, Kopes.

The closer the elections are getting, the dirtier the smear tactics.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

12 more sleeps and its all over for another 3 - 4 years. unless theres a hung parlament and we do it all again, yippee.

except who pays for it the second time as i'm sure everyone who were paid the first time arnt giving the money back.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

Maybe the reason Labour and the unions are trying to  discredit the advert is because it might actually be working. I,ve got to admit my eyes glaze over and all I hear is BLAH BLAH BLAH when a political advertsment comes on, but the tradie add got me.

I listened the whole way through and had a bit of a laugh and a discussion with the wife when it finished. Its the first add that " cut through " to me. The classic line was the last one. " Maybe we should just stick with this mob for awhile." Advertising gold    Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

i've voted quite a few times now, ive figured it out.

ignore everything you hear, read or see during the election campaign.

most of what is being promised will not be delivered.

you have had at least 3 years to decide if those in power deserve to be returned.

the libs came in with a line of look, we are better than that labor mob, they killed off a sitting prime minister!

we would never do that.

so, how did that one work out.

the libs have made the rudd/gillard/rudd govt look damn good.

election day cant come soon enuff for me.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Mr MacRae is a metalworker by trade but is also involved in the real estate industry

I wonder what being 'involved in the real estate industry? means?.. real estate agent? property developer?? I't a shame Newscorp didn't elaborate a bit more on that

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Put it this way,if he lives in Lane Cove he's probably not struggling.
Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

@debra9275 wrote:

Mr MacRae is a metalworker by trade but is also involved in the real estate industry

I wonder what being 'involved in the real estate industry? means?.. real estate agent? property developer?? I't a shame Newscorp didn't elaborate a bit more on that

He said that he does property maintenance all over Sydney.

I assume he works for some Realestate companies.

Erica

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

esayaf
Community Member
Does anyone from Lane Cove vote Labor? Or for any other party than the Liberals
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply