vets warn of an ugly reality

Behind the fluffy faces of Instagram cat and dog fame, vets warn of an ugly reality

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-09/behind-the-fluffy-surface-of-insta-pet-fam-lies-a-darker-real...

breeding cats and dogs to fit a popular styles been going on for along time with disasterous results.

i saw a program on tv years ago about a particular breed of dog where breeders were reducing the size of the head to the point where the brain no longer fitted inside the skull causing the dog to have extreme problems as it grew.

eyes popping and convulsions were comon. dogs would have to be put to sleep at very young ages.

you would think the governing bodys of the show circuit for dogs and cats would implement standards to protect the animals health but as seen in 'flat flaced' cats the plan is to get the face as flat as possible, bugga the fact the cat cant breath!

same goes for dogs with short noses, bulldogs and boxers ect.

its criminal, i'm so happy burmese and greyhounds are relatively sound breeds.

i know even my loved scottish folds come with possible side effects of the abnormality that causes the ears to fold, like later in life joint problems. luckily both my scottish folds were pretty good although my first had what i can only describe has rear legs on the wrong sides as her 'knees' made her lower legs splay outwards. imagine putting your knees together and your feet wide apart.

it got worse as she got older.

wish i could find the photos of them, cant find that photo album anywhere at the moment.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: vets warn of an ugly reality

deleted as would't  accept HTML. 

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I see quite a few of the french bulldogs and pugs in my area and I notice that most have had to undergo expensive surgery of some kind to rectify issues ..at least the owners pay and do not distroy them... but often to they are struggling to cope with short walks much less average dog activities.  I think the owners see them as a status symbol not a dog.

I think the RSPCA should act on the breeders much more harshly. 

Although personally I can not see the morality of breeding dogs or cats when so many lovely  rescue pets need a home,it seems tragic for any kind of animals life to be a commodity. 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgpBwnMBfBw

I would feel uneasy about having a 'pure' bred dog these days because so many seem to come down with problems.

I have a friend who had a Cavalier king Charles spaniel, died unexpectedly at age 6. She bought another one, absolutely beautiful nature, but now all sorts of medical things are kicking in and the dog is only 4 years old. Luckily, at least here in Australia, some mixed breeds are becoming very popular. Often poodle mixes. They are still very expensive but seem healthier.

If we look at the illnesses inflicted on a lot of these pure bred designer dogs, brought about by human meddling with breeding patterns, then it is a bit of a worry, isn't it, now we are reading about how scientists are looking at designer human babies, insert a chip here or there, get a better memory or this or that. Sometimes I think they should leave nature alone. Improving life for those with medical conditions is one thing but 'improving' things where there is no problem is another.

Our last 4 pets have all been from RSPCA or various animal shelters.We currently have 2 dogs & I have to say, you get a pretty good deal when you buy from a shelter. The price is still a few hundrfed dollars but nowhere near the thousands people pay for the designer breeds, the animals have already been neutered so you don't have that extra expense, and they have been examined and if a bit older (as our previous dog was) tested for temperament. Plus you get sent home with a pack of animal goodies.

I can recommend it.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply