white ribbon day today

bit late in the day for this, but good op to show support for women and the men who support them.

HeartWhite-Ribbon-Day-Logo.png

Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

white ribbon day today

Just too important - GO YOU.

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

white ribbon day today

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

white ribbon day today

White Ribbons should be worn every day, not just once a year. A constant reminder to stop the violence.

I am a survivor of a ten year marriage in hell. Over 50 years later I still have nightmares and shudder in fear at loud voices. 50 years ago I was like Mrs. Steward, nobody believed me or they blamed me for the beatings I got. Even my own mother said that I must have done something to deserve it. There was no help for women, no safe houses, nowhere a battered woman could turn to.

My first husband was a charmer, the perfect gentleman in public and everyone liked him. Nobody saw the monster he turned in to once he was at home and drunk. Thank goodness he found another woman and left me with the five children alone. We had no money, no home, but we had peace and in the end made a better life.

There are millions of so called, well educated and well liked gentlemen out there that turn into violent animals at home.

How many women, even today, suffer in silence?

More has to be done to teach boys and young men that violence is never the answer to a problem.

White Ribbons Day Everyday!

Erica

Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

white ribbon day today

Women should be cherished. Any male that hits a woman isn't a real man.

However, I think women should realise that a Leopard won't change his spots so should make secret arrangements to leave before things get completely out of hand. Easy to say, hard to do though?

It's life Jim, but not as WE know it.
Live long and prosper.

Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

white ribbon day today

Thanks for sharing your story Erica Heart..

Im sorry you went through this, it reminded me of my Father..so charming, so smart, what is now called a a high-functioning alcoholic..

the verbal and physical abuse we went through, I wouldnt wish on anyone, and then there were the coverups..

Unfortunately, all too common..

This day is important for all to remember that there are other ways of dealing with disagreements/ frustrations..whatever that acts as a catalyst...

I choose to take a little time to stop, breathe deeply and notice how far Ive travelled since those days..

I focus on my journey. Heart

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

white ribbon day today

I agree, and it is hard to do, and sometimes, its difficult to gauge, or predict violent behaviour..

Sometimes a minor trivia incident can set a person off- I watched a man doing his nut today when the car infront of him didnt run the red light..so he was stuck at the traffic lights..we were in a car beside him..he lost it- screaming you f'n blahblah and pounding on his steering wheel- the entire time it took for the lights to change..then he sped up and undertook the car in front of him, cutting us off..

It was pretty minor, but scary stuff- and when he sped up, we noticed he had a young toddler in the back...seriously? whats a couple of minutes?

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

white ribbon day today

johcaschro
Community Member

yes, it's a bit late in the day for this too, but better late than never?

"The mother of a woman who was brutally murdered by her ex-boyfriend says it was a "disgrace" for the Navy to honour her daughter's killer with a military funeral.

Wendy Malonyay told Lateline she had still not received a personal apology from anyone within the Navy or Defence Force, more than two-and-a-half years after her daughter Kate was strangled to death by sailor Elliott Coulson.

Coulson took his own life in 2013 as police attempted to question him over Kate Malonyay's death.

The Navy, fully aware of the circumstances of Kate's death, gave him a funeral with full military honours".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-01/murder-victim-kate-malonyays-mother-rejects-navy-apology/69910...

Later in the news article there is this:- (my bold)

Last year, the Navy became the largest Australian organisation to receive White Ribbon accreditation, which is only awarded to workplaces that demonstrate a culture of zero tolerance of men's violence against women.

But Ms Malonyay has questioned whether the Navy deserves it.

"It's all very well to say they've been accredited, but where's the proof that they're actually fighting this huge problem against women?" she said.

White Ribbon's chief executive told Lateline the Navy met the criteria for driving cultural change fully and there are no plans to remove its accreditation.

So, what is this White Ribbon business all about?

It seems they're not serious about promoting womens' rights at all, are they?

They just gave tacit approval (and accreditation, no less) to an institution which thumbs its nose at women and their right to protection from domestic violence.

If the White Ribbon organisation is to retain any sort of credibility then they should have whipped away the Navy's accreditation faster than a blow to the head of a woman by her male significant other.

Maybe they are  more concerned with other things; like money from donations, feeling all warm and fuzzy in the limelight of the public's adoration, etc?

Who knows? they have certainly given the lie to their claim to be supporting women and their rights.

It's just another scam organisation, and one from which we should feel fully justified in witholding our donations.

Until they really can show us they deserve them. Hippocrites!

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply