Can i ask for a refund if the laptop i bought has a non genuine version of windows installed

i bought a laptop and in the add it did mention that it had "windows Extreeme Edition" installed.  This however is a fake version and does not support a lot of the functions of the laptop like the volume buttons and brightness settings.

the seller does not offer returns but has he violated the terms of sale by offering a counterfit copy of windows to begin with?

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Can i ask for a refund if the laptop i bought has a non genuine version of windows installed

cq_tech
Community Member
If it's been less than 45 days since you purchased it and you paid via Paypal, you should immediately lodge a SNAD dispute on the basis that the OS supplied with the laptop is counterfeit.

If it's been longer, you'll need to deal with the seller by demanding either a full refund, or replacement of the counterfeit Windows with a legal copy, and let him know that if he's not forthcoming, you will have no option but to inform Microsoft that he is selling non-genuine versions of Windows.

If he happens to be selling through (or as) a registered business, you can also lodge a complaint with the Dept of Fair Trading in your home state as well.

Regardless of the ultimate outcome, I'd still be letting Microsoft know what he's been doing and if you provide them with his personal details they will doubtless put a stop to it.
Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

I agree with cq about the counterfeits

Its been a few years since I have had to work on computers but I think you might need to download drivers specifically designed for your laptop to get all the perks.

And Im sorry for asking but,

Do you know for sure its non genuine?

Do you have the black desktop and the words you are running a non genuine version of windows?

Have you tried to do updates? 

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Hi , have you checked the laptop for any intact onboard Windows recovery support - as you might be able to recover (reinstall) the native (original) Windows version , fully supported with correct drivers

If unsure note BIOS options during computer booting or consult the user manual for keys to select during start to access the maintenance / recovery menu

or note model here for advise

Save all valued personal files on removable media  before initiating a factory restore as is destructive meaning everything gets erased during the process

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply