Computer weirdness

This afternoon I instaled a bigger hard drive in my PC.. Everything was going fine then about an hour ago it started going really slow and not loading any programs,, I did  reboot and still going slow, eventually froze and wouldn't even boot, I couldn't even get it going in safe mode.

I decided at this point it was the hard drive so plugged my previous one in.. I plugged the bigger one in as well to get data off but left the PC cover off

Here's where it gets weird; It decided to boot up all of a sudden and was working fine, so I decided it must have been the cables so I swapped them around.. Booted up fine with cover off and hard drive in place so I shut down and put the cover back on..

Turn PC on.. Won't boot! I take the cover off, boots fine so I put the cover when it has finished booting.. Freezes again.. Shut down, take cover off and boot up again... Boots fine!

What the hell is going on? The only thing I can think of is the caddy type enclosure my hard drive is screwed into and then clipped into the pc.. I thought I had put it in the wrong way but it only  goes in one way!

At the moment I have the cover off as it's the only way I can use my PC!

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Computer weirdness

reddragonknight
Community Member

Hello,

Maybe a pb with the "open case status" from the Bios.

Try to go the Bios of your PC and check if disable

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Computer weirdness

heardata
Community Member

How did you go fixing this?

Might have been a boot order problem?

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Computer weirdness

powerspcrepair
Community Member

"Here's where it gets weird; It decided to boot up all of a sudden and was working fine, so I decided it must have been the cables so I swapped them around.. Booted up fine with cover off and hard drive in place so I shut down and put the cover back on..

Turn PC on.. Won't boot! I take the cover off, boots fine"

Sounds like the cover causing interference to the cables. Have you tried to organize the cables by twist tying them together so as not to be against the cover when you put it back on?

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Computer weirdness

I think that's what the problem was.. The hard drive slides into a caddy and then slots into the PC, the cables were under the caddy so it could have been interfering with the air flow or something.. 

Anyway, I got it sorted eventually

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply