Due for system memory upgrade....

......Anyhow using freeware app System Explorer i have noticed consistent maximum system memory usage , with some user processes realising noticeable slowdowns 

I know I can just put up with this situation but I think I will invest in additional ram memory as supported by my mainboard

Would this solution be cost justified by the majority of computer users experiencing slower performance or a matter of personal preference ? 

RamMemory4.jpg

Message 1 of 31
Latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

I would try not running non-essential processes first.

How often do you turn your computer off? Despite the naysayers who say it isn't possible, I find that after a few days my computer tends to slow down. Rebooting seems to fix the issue, so that's what I do. I dunno if it is clogged RAM or not, but it works.

I have 16Gb or RAM, but I have no idea how that rates for capacity these days.

Message 2 of 31
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

So you have Task Manager and System Explorer which basically does the same thing?

If you are lacking space then you only have two options which are either more Ram or another system with

greater capacity.

So cost effectiveness would make the Ram more suitable unless the system is more then 7 years old as then

an upgrade may be a more effective option due to superior speeds and greater capacity.

Have you cleared out unnecessary files,emptied the Recycle bin,cleared Cookies and Cache,removed unwanted

program's,defraged,put icons into folders,etc.

Message 3 of 31
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I would try not running non-essential processes first.

How often do you turn your computer off? Despite the naysayers who say it isn't possible, I find that after a few days my computer tends to slow down. Rebooting seems to fix the issue, so that's what I do. I dunno if it is clogged RAM or not, but it works.

I have 16Gb or RAM, but I have no idea how that rates for capacity these days.

i would just rather add system memory than groval by manually unloading processes or even rebooting

These days 16GB of installed system memory would be considered respectable power user , however regardlesss of total installed memory a poorly maintained or buggy computer will be a misery 

With 16Gb of system memory using computer for home office type tasks I would install a 4GB ram drive and configure the page file to run virtual memory off the ram memory space ( also saves ssd wear if using one ) along with the default page file on the disk drive

* disable when installing a new application 

Message 4 of 31
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

So you have Task Manager and System Explorer which basically does the same thing?

If you are lacking space then you only have two options which are either more Ram or another system with

greater capacity.

So cost effectiveness would make the Ram more suitable unless the system is more then 7 years old as then

an upgrade may be a more effective option due to superior speeds and greater capacity.

Have you cleared out unnecessary files,emptied the Recycle bin,cleared Cookies and Cache,removed unwanted

program's,defraged,put icons into folders,etc.

System Explorer seems to me to be more detailed and faster to change monitor lists as per default setup 

Only use my computer for home office type tasks ie browsing / security - i will keep my primary computer as still boots up ready to browse in 30 odd seconds , although thinking about using my laptop which has 8GB installed memory and licenced for Windows 10 ( just no onboard display so use as a static desktop with external display - maybe hang both on the wall ) 

Message 5 of 31
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

System Explorer seems to me to be more detailed and faster to change monitor lists as per default setup 

Only use my computer for home office type tasks ie browsing / security - i will keep my primary computer as still boots up ready to browse in 30 odd seconds , although thinking about using my laptop which has 8GB installed memory and licenced for Windows 10 ( just no onboard display so use as a static desktop with external display - maybe hang both on the wall ) 

The other option is to transfer older files and photos that you don't really access to an external HD.

If you use the HD as a back up you can then get "rid" off most non essential "items" to free up space maybe?

Most PC's come with files,Apps,etc that a lot of people will never use.

The same as the stupid Sync associated with Onedrive that hijacks files and photos and you have to turn it

off to stop it.

About 8 years ago a friends PC was taking 4 minutes plus to load and after the removal of old Emails,

redundant files,etc and then a defrag speed went down to 20 seconds for start up.

It took over 4 hours to get it to start running smoother.

He had 95% usage which went down to 65% usage just by removing clutter.
Message 6 of 31
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

@rogespeed wrote:

The other option is to transfer older files and photos that you don't really access to an external HD.

If you use the HD as a back up you can then get "rid" off most non essential "items" to free up space maybe?

The same as the stupid Sync associated with Onedrive that hijacks files and photos and you have to turn it

off to stop it.

About 8 years ago a friends PC was taking 4 minutes plus to load and after the removal of old Emails,

redundant files,etc and then a defrag speed went down to 20 seconds for start up.

Solved the mystery , one of the 2GB modules has failed , so only using 2GB instead of 4GB 

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode in computer user ineptness 

Message 7 of 31
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

@go-tazz wrote:

@rogespeed wrote:

off to stop it.

Solved the mystery , one of the 2GB modules has failed , so only using 2GB instead of 4GB 

Stay tuned for the next exciting episode in computer user ineptness 

all good , 45% memory usage 1 browser open , , sloppy seating of the second module - oh well computer gets a 4GB upgrade anyhow.  30.7 Windows Experience Index ( Windows 7 ) not the fastest I have used but good enough for my usage 

Message 8 of 31
Latest reply

Next exciting episode in computer owner ineptness : Can a ram drive decrease ssd wear if configured as a page file ? 

But you will have to wait until my additional modules get delivered from the States - i will be waiting with a can of glen20....  

Message 9 of 31
Latest reply

@rogespeed wrote:

But you will have to wait until my additional modules get delivered from the States - i will be waiting with a can of glen20....  

Just put it aside for 3 days as that's the longest the virus can survive on any surface and if a bit of moisture from

the spray got in the wrong spot you could possibly fry the whole system.Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

Message 10 of 31
Latest reply