Keylogger

I suspect i have a KL on my laptop. At the very least  have been hacked.   After hours of reading up on malware and learning  way too much am i right in thinking that the only foolproof way of getting read of this is to get a complete re install  done?   

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Keylogger

@bright.ton42,

Not necessarily.

(What has led you to conclude that you've been hacked?)

However, the average person who is not high-level tech-savvy is probably best off going to a competent computer technician who will examine your laptop and run some diagnostics on it. They'll be able to tell whether or not registry keys have been affected, files have been installed, and so on.

There is almost certainly no need to do something as drastic as a complete reinstallation - but as I said, be guided by a good computer tech.

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Keylogger

Keyloggers usually require you to click on a link that shows as being something else and asking for your password.

Then when you type in the password it is recorded in the background for someone else to see.

Never click on links.

I would do the following.

Run antivirus software and if you don't have a bought one then run windows defender doing full scans.

Then if no problems, clear cookies n temp internet files.

Clear browser history on all browsers including saved passwords and form fills.

Download a free adblocker and restart computer

Change passwords and you should be good to go. No need to do a full format.

If the defender program comes up with malware and can't rectify then formatting the pc is best.

image host
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

Keylogger

I've run all sorts of scans to no avail.  

One thing I've been lax on is getting 2 step authentication with my email accounts which I will rectify.

I'm getting a hi-tech technician (costly but worth it) to do a full diagnostics and  .

I'm hoping reformatting won't be necessary.

Thanks all  for the replies, much appreciated. .

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply