Nasty malware

Just recerntly I  notice a tiny "Ads by Keep Now"   and   "Ad Options" on top of the screen on Chrome which are causing nasty ad popups all over the place. 

I have run -   

Malware Bytes

SpyBot

Super anti spyware

Avast anti virus

Checked Windows programmes to uninstall and uninstalled anything i don't recognise

Removed any Extensions in chrome I don't recognize

all without success. 

Can anyone suggest another malware programme I could try,  or should I upgrade one of the above programs to Pro/paid?

When I google Remove Keep Now all i seem to get is links to dodgy sites that suggest a Download Prog that 

I've never heard of or anyone else by the sound of it. 

I haven't downloaded anything recently so don't know how this happened. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Some suggestions I picked up were to use

AntiMalware Toolkit

Adw cleaner

Ad-aware

Should I try those do you think?

Running win 7,   and only basic knowledge of computers  

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Nasty malware

Bright I suggest running your computer in safe mode. Pressing F8 on start up works for me and you can backdate your computer to before you had the problem and also run scans.

try googling safe mode and you'll get more info there

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

heres  bit of nfo here.

my kids often pick up things and it's the only way we can get rid of them

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

Thanks Debra, and for the link to Geeks which looks good.  I think I will do a Sys Restore as I don't want to really download any more Malware Programs as a lot of them I think are junkware.    

These two spyware KeepNow   and Ads Options are really embedded somewhere if all my other AV progs couldn't find them.  

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

Hi 

I just googled Keep now and ads option

It appears to be the latest malware going around by all the posts on the internet.

There are a few good hints on how to remove it but I would recomend a system restore to a previous time.

I have kids and they have no idea what they are clicking on so I put in these measure's.

I have an external hard drive that I put all the important stuff on (my stuff) and it gets a full scan once a week I also do a clean install every 6 months that brings it back to its original settings.  

If your pc is running slow it could use a clean install.  You will be amazed at all the "stuff" you have running in the background eating at your ram and clogging up your cpu.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

Yes I think System Restore is the way to go for me.  

My PC doesn't seem to be running slow though I agree there'd be a lot of junk on it and a clean install

is a very good idea as I've had it for a few years. .  

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

Bright, if you ever do perform a complete reinstall of Windows, do yourself a big favour and as soon as you've customised the desktop the way you like it, immediately make a backup of it to a separate hard drive or USB stick, so that the next time you have to reinstall, it will only take you a matter of minutes instead of an entire day (or more).
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

Well the System Restore worked hooray and the pesky little trojans have gone. 

When you say do a complete backup would that be of the whole Hard Drive?

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

Glad to hear that a system restore solved the problem, Bright, and yes, a complete backup involves 'copying' the entire active partition (your C: drive) to a separate internal or external hard drive, USB stick, or DVD. For example, I have 2 x 500Gb hard drives and I use the secondary drive to store my weekly backup of my C: drive.

If you only have one hard drive but it is divided into one or more partitions, if you have the space you can backup to a different partition on the same hard drive, but if the hard drive fails, you'll lose your backup as well as your active partition, which kind of defeats the purpose of making a backup in the first place.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Nasty malware

Well I restored to 3 weeks ago and was free of the malware for 24 hours and now they've come back.  I could weep!

Anyway I found a post on an earlier thread (TT popup bar)   by Patchoo  with a link to a company that offer

adware protection, also a technical reply service so I've written to them.  Fingers crossed, otherwise I totally 

give up.  

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply