Neighbours reception/antenna problem no Digital SBS-and DVD b/w

lovetadojen
Community Member

Neighbor is complaining of loss of SBS all channels on their toshiba 42" flat-screen, I went in and checked, cant raise 3, 30, or 32...and also Ch31/44 (local community digital station) is now missing as well, even though I knew it was there last time I was there as I saw it.

I ran an autoscan...twice...made no difference....every station installed but still except no 3-30-32, and no ch31/44...they have a backup old CRT tv in kitchen, connected to same antenna, it still has the basic 0-28 SBS ATV  channel working...even that doesnt pickup on the analogue side on the flatscreen.

Every other channel is ok, 9-90-99,7-70-72-73, 1-10-11-12 , 2-22-24, even including the infotainment channels 74 and 94, and the 2 radio music stations such as ABC Jazz.

Im next door, use a pretty much identical basic antenna,similiar class of TV, pointing same way , about same mast height, have not had any issues develop all channels great  reception. 

So it is hard to see how there is anything up with either their antenna or signal range.

Another oddity I noticed, is they tried to play a DVD which they hadnt tried since the new TV...older Toshiba DVD player with hardly any use.

all DVDs , no matter how many you try out, are playing back in B/W only, including the disc menus.

That I figure might be merely a bad or incorrect RCA plug connection cable issue, crossed up or not connecting properly.

South-East subs of Melbourne 

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Usually the BW issue is the tv needs fine tuning if the dvd is not connected directly through Video out and audio out. Also some earlier models have a BW-colour-test switch at the back.

As for the loss of channels, don't know, but some digital systems are more sensitive and maybe a booster on the antenna might work. Good luck.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

all DVDs , no matter how many you try out, are playing back in B/W only, including the disc menus.

Your neighbour might need to set the TV setting to PAL.. NTSC will often appear in black and white

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

I realise this thread is old but just read this.We had a similar issue.On inspection the cabling to the tv was rotten we replaced this with quad core cabling ( 90c a meter from bunnings) along with a masthead ampliphier

Dave

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

one more thing I forgot..the ends of the cabling instead of regular metal get the gold plated ones better connectivity.You pay more but it is worth it.

Dave

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply