Opening computer tower - what is the legal situation ?

Just wondering the legalities of opening a computer tower case to say execute internal device upgrade , keeping in mind the computer is 240v mains powered , and so has the appearance of being illegal for a non- a grade electrician to work on.

In other words is a desktop computer classified legally as a mains power device or low voltage or are there sub-sections of law that allow opening the case ?  

Is it legal for a non-a grade electricion to open the case for maintenance and upgrade tasks ?

No opinions please just legal regs , legal considerations valid in Victoria , Australia , by those familiar with the design of computers.

My problem in VIC is the consideration by non and vested interests that it is illegal for a non- "a grade" electrician to open a computer case - so has become a problem for me  in developing a niche computer related service, as I am not a sparkie by trade

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Opening computer tower - what is the legal situation ?

Now just to clarify some design technicalities : A laptop computer has an external ac adapter which is plugged into the main power supply and 18v dc output is connected to the laptop , clearly a dc low voltage device

Desktop computers have an AC Adapter as well but is internal , and like the laptop is a sealed unit but called the Power Supply Unit . The output cables supply dc 12V , 5V and 3.3V 

So while the desktop computer is plugged into mains power , the accessible internal components are dc low voltage 

By design the computer , unlike domestic white goods , locate the mains power components in a metal case which is tamper sealed.

This was obviously to ensure safely for less qualified workers and the computer owner , however a functionally low voltage classification is contentious 

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

Now some info from the newly unearthed Electrical safety Act 1998 v.072 ( State of Victoria only ) 

My understanding at this time is : 

electrical devices that are classed within the ACT are called Prescribed Electrical Equiptment which are declared as such by Energy Safe Victoria and so require approval , and so by implication repairs by a " qualified technician" 

Regarding computers : the Equiptment Classes pertinent to a computer would include PLUG ,  POWER SUPPLY / CHARGER but not specifically the COMPUTER , as is not listed 

http://www.esv.vic.gov.au/technical-information/electrical-appliances-and-equipment/equipment-classe...

So as it seems now : the desktop computer Power Supply Unit is a prescribed electrical device and so requires a "qualified technician" to effect maintenance / repairs etc , but the computer ( excluding the sealed PSU ) is not a prescribed electrical equipment , so hence is not subject to the Victoria Electrical Safety ACT and so not subject to the requirement of a " qualified technician " to effect maintenance / repairs etc. ( as far as the Lawful ACT is concerned, but the demands of insurance , industry , BCI lobbiests, general public is another matter not a LAW safety issue) 

Correct me if I am wrong with source notations

Now one may ask why is a computer exempt but say a decorative Lighting Outfit with " integral power supply (internal)" is prescribed.

Because the power supply of the lighting outfit is not sealed and so not physically separate from the low voltage circuitry and so a danger to the unwary.

However an ATX standard  computer  is designed to physically separate the prescribed device from the unsubscribed device ( mainboard etc) and so allow maintenance / upgrade / repair tasks legally executed by even the unqualified private computer owner - as evidence by procedures published by computer manufactures for private owner information via owner / service manuals , even in over in litigation central  ( those located across the pond ) 

Now in the ACT is mentioned exemptions , which may include desktop computers , so this subject will be my next exciting blog post

peace and prosperity 

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

ca04
Community Member

Thought this was a joke but it appears you are serious. You may do what you like with your computer  as the powersupply out puts 12 volts dc and less. If you were to open the powersupply for repair or modifcation with out some type of quailification  you could infringe a regulation. You could legaly replace the P/S but not repair it. enjoy.

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

ca04 ,  unfortunately for me , my experience has been that the public myth that computers are prescribed electrical equiptment is so enshrined that pursuit of gainful commercial opertaions has been stymied , and so forced me to seek documented legal status as a means to repudiate misinformed or deliberately misinformed community , nanny state and some retail vested interests.

My viewpoint is from commercial operations rather than private owner  

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply