Overpriced computers bordering on fraud

I'm looking at the Desktop Gaming computer search page, I went to highest price listing search. It starts at $13,001 & goes down from there. The first page of listings is filled with computers  These computers are old computers worth less than $1000, being advertised for many thousands of dollars. Here is an example of the $13000 listing, which would be worth about $500.

I know enough about computers not to buy it, but some vulnerable person out there might not & pay $13000 for a $500 computer. EBAY should not be letting them advertise $500 computers for up to $13000, these computers are not valued at the price they are being listed at.

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes  buyers have statutory rights,  but they are different to statutory warranties.

yes fit for purpose,  under statutory conditions, but there is no set period for such and is very dependent on price and condition of the item purchased.  Statutory conditions are different to statutory warranties, which virtually only covers free title.

The statutory warranties require that:
1) The consumer will enjoy quiet possession of
the goods.
2) The goods are free from any charge or
encumbrance not disclosed or known to the
consumer.

There is no legal  requirement  for a seller of new or used goods, to provide what is known as a voluntary warranty, Commonly known  as manufacturers warranties, store warranties, express warranties etc.

Voluntary warranties
‘Voluntary warranties’ are the written and verbal
promises sellers and manufacturers make about
their goods and services. However, they are also
known by other names, including:
• express warranties
• store warranties
• manufacturers’ warranties
• money-back guarantees
• store refund policies
• store exchange policies.
The law does not require any business to provide
a voluntary warranty.

As sourced from  ACCC

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Then report it

eBay have no idea since they do not vet/check/value listings 

Nobody in their right mind would pay 13 grand for a computer. Especially  not one on eBay

vulnerable?  seriously? 

hardly the right word 

Most likely a 'special listing' the seller has created for a certain buyer and set the price that high so only an utter idiot would put such a bid

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

I have read others say they may do this to keep the listing active if they get more stock and will save having to do a new listing from scratch. 

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I agree, only an utter idiot would buy it, but we all know there are utter idiots out there. Have a look at all their other totally overpriced computer listings as well.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

or maybe money laundering?

(I watch far too much crime)

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

They might be well overpriced,  but that in no way constitutes fraud, not even close.

Surely buyers know to price check.  But then again there are some doozy buyers out there.

And it is not up to ebay to tell sellers how to price their items, and it is probably illegal for them to  do so.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

For the  OP,  Just to add, they also have  Desk Tops for less than $200. 

They also  have  some  72000 sales via ebay,  with over 14500  FB score ,  at  99.2%  for the last 12 months.

They also have some  4400 followers, presumably happy customers.

So here is a thing,  why dont you contact the seller,   and ask them to justify their prices to you,  rather than simply placing inuendo on a public forum.    If you  have not got the gumption to follow up with the seller, then perhaps the seller may become aware of your post.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

There's no fraud - sellers are allowed to price items at any price point they like, even if you think it is overvalued. The most likely situation is that they do not have stock of these items at the moment, so they put an unrealistic price on them to discourage buyers. When they get new stock, they revert to the proper price. 

If you look at their feedback, you can see the price points of items that were purchased and most of what I looked at was under $1000.

They do have some concerning negative feedback, which would definitely put me off though.

Also, please bear in mind that nobody can offer you a genuine warranty on Ebay, unless they are an authorised distributor. It would be a real shame if you purchased something and after a few months had an issue. These third party sellers have no obligation after the first 30 days, so you would be much better buying from a proper Aussie store and getting a genuine 12+ month Aussie backed warranty. This seller has a "warranty", but after 30 days......well, I would wish you luck in even getting them to respond. Their FAQ's even go against some of Ebay's T&C's.

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

I think you are confusing the warranty issue in regard to not applying to an individual or overseas seller. If it is an Australian business then a warranty does still apply whether secondhand or a new product. Secondhand items from a business still needs to meet a certain standard and any warranty issues will be delt with by them not the original manufacturer.

Selling an item on ebay will not let a business seller off the hook for any warranty issues after 30 days.

It only takes a few minutes to work out they are a registered business with an ABN so are an Australian Business.

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

The linked item is advertised as refurbished, thus it is not new. The seller also implicitly doesn't offer a warranty.

The seller also reckons that a buyer is up for return postage for NAD, or DOA.

Make of that what you will.

But the salient point is that the item/s are not new, thus no warranty applies. Even if they are a registered Australian business.

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply