Pesky PUP's or embedded malware ?

So one has downloaded an authorised file from a friend  , maybe video , maybe picture file and it has been scanned ok by your security but being constantly on the lookout for operating anomolies something about the way your computer now responds is not quite right 

What to do rather than delete ? 

Just so happens that sometimes indirect detection is additionally useful 

My secret tools are Superantispyware and a dvd burner 

You right click on the suspect file to open the context menu and select SASP scan this file , which it will ( a delay to launch further confirms a problem ) and will scan the target file and being user installed may not show any detections

But rather than a report of one (1) item scanned the app shows two (2) items scanned 

Eureka ! 

MalwareFile.PNG

Two items in one file ? probably is a good reason for this but personally I do not like that - also when the computer becomes unstable...

What to do ?

Just so happens by burning the offending file to a dvd disk,  by some quirk of programming the PUP or whatever does not get copied  

malware_dvd_a.png

Then one can copy back over to onboard storage and confirm with another scan , having deleted the original downloaded file 

MalwareCleansed-confirmed.PNG

pest likely removed as computer processes normally now - but best to run full system file scan of your security 

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I'm not paranoid. Sorry.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

I'm not paranoid. Sorry.

Fact was 2 items detected in 1 file - induced system disfunction , used an indirect process to remove 1 item , restored system function while retaining the original expected file - what do you not understand ? 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Where does davewil say he does not understand?

Or do you not understand the word paranoid?

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Where does davewil say he does not understand?

Or do you not understand the word paranoid?

do you understand the word vexatious  ?

My discussion was about a certain single file that should have been scanned as having 1 item but scanned as having 2 , and my method to remove the suspect element or item 

A simple technical discussion which should have not aroused any disparaging comments 

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

MY malware protection does me fine.

I don't, however, visit dodgy sites. Maybe that is your problem.

Or your time-lag.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

MY malware protection does me fine.

I don't, however, visit dodgy sites. Maybe that is your problem.

Or your time-lag.

This post is about a certain type of indirectly detected unknown anomaly and how it was removed - web sites visited or your satisfaction in your security solution is clearly and totally  irrelevant

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply