windows 8

ca04
Community Member

So is windows 8 an OS or just an update to make you a serf to MS and the computer manufactures?

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

windows 8

Windows 8 is a separate operating system.

8.1 is an update to windows 8.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

You are sure now? as one can not buy a full version to do a clean install on an existing private computer. 

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/landing/Windows8?CAWELAID=620015440000022254&gclid=CImS0OOt...

You can buy a Pro upgrade. This means you install 8 on a PC that has XP, or 7 on it, but it is a new operating system.

If you like to think of it this way...Microsoft wants you to change to 8, so you can buy it as an upgrade, but it is not an update to a previous release.

You would need to backup all of your personal files.

It is designed to be a combination of traditional PC style Windows, and mobile style devices.

You can buy it on a new PC as a separate operating system, which it is.

Windows 8 then has it's own, free for a while, upgrade to windows 8.1 as an update you can get with the usual Windows updates.

So Windows 8.1 is a regular style update, to 8.

Hope that helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

Microsoft is essentially subsidising the change over of older systems on PCs, by letting people with genuine prior software upgrade.

It will check that before an install of 8.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

If you have a choice don't use Windows 8.....it is diabolical.

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

I thoroughly agree with Lyndal's assessment. The other day I had the terrible misfortune of using a friend's PC with Windows 8 installed, and I could hardly wait to return to my thoroughly reliable and totally trustworthy XP.
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

Just needs the user interface to be set up for easy and clear access for the individual owner/user - however the gui graphics could be considered plain compared with previous rich areo of VISTA/Windows 7

I think Windows 8.1 has better tile icon config options , you can reduce the size of tiles (icon shortcuts)  to suit workstation desktop evironment rather than feeling insulted by a scaled up tablet low resolution format effect of Windows 8

For security WIndows 8/8.1 is the best Windows version , XP WIndows is becoming a liability

With loss of support future apps will not tend to be optimised for XP , so likely emerging compatibility issues, like WIndows 2000

btw if you consider upgrading os version consider the support and procedure for importing current email client content stored on the computer if applicable

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

Unfortunately, I couldn't "upgrade" to Windows 8/8.1 even if I wanted to as most of my hardware would require replacing due to the lack of available device drivers.

Due to the manner in which I use my PC running XP/SP3, security is not really an issue anyway (no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth) and any protection necessary is more than adequately covered under my circumstances by AVG and Malwarebytes.

In fact, I'm actually considering reinstalling OS/2 Warp and running it as a dual-boot PC (I didn't change from OS/2 to Windows until Win95 was released onto the market, and there are many aspects of OS/2 which I still miss).
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

windows 8

to lyndall and cq, its great when you have worked how to navigate around in it.  All the old windows interface is still if you know where to look plus you get the Tiles interface if you want to use that as well with the benefit of Apps.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply