Hi We wish to buy a vehicle off a seller who wishes to use ebay because they claim it is secure.

Dear SIr/Madam

We wish to buy a vehicle off someone who wants to use eBay because they claim it is secure. They live on <removed> and have the army freighting the vehicle. How can we be sure that once we pay, the vehicle is delivered to us? What are eBay's terms & conditions for large amounts of money being paid and the goods being received?

Kind Regards

Ange <removed>

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi We wish to buy a vehicle off a seller who wishes to use ebay because they claim it is secure.

Don,t part with a cent sounds like a Scam for sure, spent many years in the army they do not cart private vehicles. Check out some of the stories on ebay motors discussion board.

Thanks

Chris

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

Absolutely a flat out scam, ebay do not offer any safe payment method for cars, sellers don't even have to offer Paypal if selling a vehicle as there is no buyer protection however you pay.

report the listing to ebay as fraudulent.

Do not have any further contact with the seller and if you have clicked any links in an email they have sent you change your passwords for ebay, Paypal, bank and any other sites containing financial details immediately.

run a full security scan on your computer to make sure you have not been infected with a trojan or keylogger virus. You need to look out for phishing emails over the next few months as they probably have your email address.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

it is a SCAM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

It is a scam.

The scammer is trying to represent ebay as an escrow service.

They may even have a fake ebay escrow site set up.

Ebay never holds money until delivery is satisfactorily completed nor has it's own escrow service.

Ebay recommends using www.escrow.com by typing and logging directly into that site. Ebay also recommends that if a seller asks a buyer to use any other escrow service that the buyer report the listing to ebay. Please do so. Some links below from ebays site map

http://pages.ebay.com.au/help/tp/payment-escrow.html

If your trading partner insists that you use a specific escrow service and will not accept www.escrow.com (or an eBay approved international escrow service for international transactions) as an alternative, please decline the transaction and report the seller or buyer to eBay:

http://cars.ebay.com.au/help/239/Buyer_Checklist

Remember that paypal has no buyer protection for the purchase of motor vehicles so do not trust that paying via paypal

gaurantees anything in this situation

Buy and Pay Safely

• Never pay for a vehicle with instant cash transfer, such as Western Union or Moneygram
  • Check the terms of sale.
    Check just how and when the seller wants you to pay and collect the vehicle.
  • Remember, if using an auction, your bid is a legally binding offer...
    ... to buy the vehicle at any price up to your maximum bid amount. If the seller accepts your bid, you're legally obligated to pay. Not paying may cause the seller to seek legal action and may affect your eBay membership. For details, check out eBay’s User Agreement and information on unpaid items.
  • Consider Buy it Now and Best Offer.
    Buy It Now is our fixed price format which allows you to buy the vehicle immediately. If sellers display the Best Offer feature this gives you an opportunity to negotiate the price online. Find out more about Best Offer.
  • ALWAYS check the My Messages section in your My eBay page to confirm any emails from us requesting account information.
  • BEWARE of fraudsters who send fake email messages claiming to represent or offer escrow services

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

SOMEONE TRIED THIS ON ME TODAY

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

There you go , almost nine years later.

There are at least a dozen, very full, threads that post-date this one.

I think one is even current.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply