Is this FAKE ?

angecl_84
Community Member

Hi people. I have been in contact with a person selling a Car on AUTOTRADER. However due to her being deployed to overseas, cannot self the car personally, so has arranged a deal with EBAY to sell on her behalf. So i had to confirm my interest first. Supply Name, email address, home address and phone number.  1. I had to then send a photo of Drivers licence or passport to confirm. 2. I then received a invoice for the payment required, and it had to be paid within 4hours. This is where it came unstuck. My impression on being a buyer and seller on EBAY that there is no time frame. I also asked questions about seeing the car and test driving it, but the reply that came back was i couldn't do that unless I paid for it first. At looking at the photo of the car, it said Manual, but I questioned that and she came back with it being auto. It's all beginning to look a bit suspicious now, so I enquire at the place to where she is suppose to be at present, they tell me she doesn't work there. EBAY say they will only email anything to you on your messages portal on your EBAY account and NOT directly to any personal email address.  I really wanted this to be legit, but I'm not going to buy into it.

Hope this helps someone else too.

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Is this FAKE ?

SCAM

Cut off all communications immediately.

This is a common scam run on the internet.

If you have supplied them with personal information you need to change all your passwords on eBay, email etc.

If you do a reverse image search on the picture of the vehicle you will find it listed elsewhere by another seller.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

Is this FAKE ?

SCAM

Hundreds of posts about it on the forum and elsewhere

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Is this FAKE ?

Does common sense tell you it is legitimate.   Search the forum here and you will find heaps of suckers who have purchased through this scam.

There is a definite lack of common sense in the world

So you actually sent some unknown a copy of your drivers license.  you are in trouble identity fraud has begun.   Good luck

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Is this FAKE ?

As k1ooo said change all your passwords and also be prepared to get heaps of spam on your email and phone.

With the details you've provided you are now vulnerable to identity theft.

DO NOT click on any links EVER.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply