PLEASE: ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING A CAR. Read HERE first.

xb50gs
Community Member
There are so many eBay scammers active I think I should post another topic. I had written one on the previous board that was pinned to the top, but its since been removed.

In a nutshell, if it looks too good to be true. IT IS.

A $45,000 car is worth the same amount anywhere. If the owner was to sell it to a dealer, or trade it, they may lose a few thousand, but not tens of thousands. So, Rule 1 is

If a car is listed as a buy it now for less than half its value, its it typically a scam.

Next off, eBay DO NOT, WILL NOT and HAVE NEVER offered a ESCROW program for ANYTHING. You DO NOT send money to eBay, who in turn release funds to sellers upon you approving the condition of the car. eBay is a auction venue. And a slack one at that. So, Rule 2 is

ANYONE who claims that the transaction is done that way is a LIAR, a THIEF and a SCAMMER.

Buyers, please use common sense. If a seller is registered in NSW, but says the car is in another state and that he is out of the country, THEY ARE SCAMMERS. The probability of that being true is less than 1%.

Next off, interstate car shipping is VERY expensive. No one would include free shipping on a car that is already way under market value. No one is that desperate to get rid of their car. I might drive a car a few hours drive to meet a buyer, but interstate, even SAME state shipping is thousands of dollars. IT IS A SCAM.

The people doing these scams have been doing it for YEARS. It started as a letter in the post from a long lost relative, who had died and left you thousands of dollars, turned into a email with basically the same thing, but with more money and now its cars, bikes, boats, houses, basically anything of value that can easily be photographed and listed without being able to be verified as the owner.

The cars used in listings are usually nothing more than cars parked in a public place. The people listing are usually middle men, working for bigger scammers, typically in Africa-Nigeria. They will list the items with a sob story and can list 10 or more at a time. If you ever phone them, they often forget which car it is you're ringing about.

Please, don't forget these people are CRIMINALS. They're paid a fee for doing this. They can also be dangerous. So the best, safest, smartest bet is once you get a fishy looking email once you inquire about a car, delete it and have no further contact.

People, unless you can see it, drive it and touch it, DONT PART WITH THE CASH.
Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 1 of 40
Latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

bribieisland4x4hire
Community Member
And for the record, when I was phoning around to have a small car carted from Newcastle to Coffs Harbor, roughly a 4hr drive, I couldn't find someone to do it for under $1000.

Transport is all supply versus demand - car carriers going North from Sydney to Brisbane are nearly always full, hence $1000 to Coffs from Ncl. You're paying for the pick up/drop off plus the empty space on the truck upto Brisbane. You'd probably pay less for a car from Brisbane to Melbourne or Perth to Adelaide. If you live in a place where there is a lot of inbound freight and very little outbound then its expensive inbound and very cheap outbound - Perth Adelaide and Brisbane all examples. Sydney and Melbourne have reasonably balanced loadings in/out.

Back in the 1980/90s the small volume car importers were using the big road freight differentials to reduce costs by screwing down on road freight rates ex places like Townsville and Brisbane where it was cheaper to offload cars from Japan and then road freight them to Sydney and Melbourne.
Message 11 of 40
Latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Very good post!
Message 12 of 40
Latest reply

bump for almondicing
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 13 of 40
Latest reply

gmhcars
Community Member
i found a 2004 nissan patrol for $7400 car was in bundeeena on the ebay listing but now is in melbourne and the seller is in the uk and wants my full name and address to send me the car
THE EBAY USER IS (judyspeig) look out
Message 14 of 40
Latest reply

gmhcars
Community Member
i found a 2004 nissan patrol for $7400 car was in bundeeena on the ebay listing but now is in melbourne and the seller is in the uk and wants my full name and address to send me the car
THE EBAY USER IS (judys4peig) look out
Message 15 of 40
Latest reply

bumping for the caravan man
TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 16 of 40
Latest reply

A new Scam appeared last night selling a HT Monaro 350 for $7200. Seems to be gone now, but I sent an email so people can see the type of email you can get ๐Ÿ˜‰ EMail follows: from a Susan Mitchel.

Hello there and thanks for your interest,
The car is in perfect working condition, with no scratches, no rust or damage.It was always garaged and never been smoked in.The interior is very clean and the title is clear, no liens or loans.The price is $7,200 with shipping/handling included and it's not negotiable.The car is registered in Australia on my name and address but currently I am located in Rome, Italy because I just finished the divorce with my husband and i have moved here to my parents home(i own the car now).In order to make this a successful deal we will use eBay.
Here are some info about my car:
Doors: 2 doors Engine: 350 GTS
Transmission: Manual Fuel Type: Petrol
VIN: HT15551B Year: 1969

Here are some pics for you:
http://i47.tinypic.com/egzm37.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2wgdj7c.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/2lxyqvn.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/10nt0xv.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2s9dime.jpg

I would like to know from the begining if you are really interested in purchase, so i can stop negotiating with potential buyers.
If you have any further question please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you, Susan
Message 17 of 40
Latest reply

xb50gs
Community Member
Christ, for $7200 for a GTS350 Monaro, I'll mortgage my house and buy 25 of them.

BTW, Are they the correct guard badges for a GTS 350? I though that was either the 6cyl badges or 327.
Going Ford is the Going Thing.
Message 18 of 40
Latest reply

tellgio
Community Member
Hi

I'm pretty sure this is a car owned by my uncle. And the only Susan he would know is a Hollywood movie star. Also I asked him how much for the car and he said he is firm at $7500, so please send ME the money..and I will see to it that you get MORE pictures... mumble mumble.. conditions conditions.. blah blah...scam scam... YES the second part of this post is a not true... and NO..i wont accept third party or international 'checks'... (Beware the scammers, as they also post the same items on other selling sites, sometimes with different pictures)
Message 19 of 40
Latest reply

I was able to locate the original add for the car which sold for $149,000. Here is the link.

http://australianmusclecarsales.com.au/muscle/130536-ht-gts-monaro-bathurst-350

I wonder if the person who bought the car knows it was just on EBay?
Message 20 of 40
Latest reply