Seller demand more $$$$$ for postage costs almost a week after the sale & payment finalized?

I bid the minimum on an item last week, as always, taking into account how much the postage was.  I only bid the minimum, because if by some miracle I won, it was an amount I could afford.  I only ever bis what I can afford to immediately pay.  So when I bid on an item last week, I took into account how much the postage would be.  Based on this postage amount I made my bid to the seller (the absolute minimum/ first bid).  I would not have bid on this item if the postage were higher, as I did not have the money.  However, today, 5 days after winning and immediately paying for this item, I recieved a message from the seller stating the postage was double what was listed and that I was to pay the difference.  They did not ask if I was willing to do this, and as far as I can tell, they have gone ahead and posted.  As I'm on a VERY tight budget (single income family) I only had a total amount I could spare on this.  The extra amount being demanded, while seemingly a small amount, DOES actually make a HUGE difference to the running of our household. What I want to know, is the seller allowed to do this AND am I required to pay the difference, when, had I known the true cost, I would NEVER have bid on it????

View Entire Topic

You are only obligated to paying the postage cost shown in a listing.

Having said that, some ebayers are new sellers and make genuine errors.

I often suggest we go halves in the difference for a seller that seems genuine or pay the extra if it's close enough to the rates I know them to be.

In this case if the seller has already posted the item, they cannot expect you nor enforce you to pay.

The seller should have asked for the difference or offered to cancel the transaction before posting.

Take a look at the postage cost if it shows when it arrives and up to you to do what you think is fair.