Refunded $103 for a canceled $108 purchase

flyingphil172
Community Member

I purchased item #183617921648 using the credit card option and was charged $108. The seller then canceled the sale and I was refunded $103.
I have checked with the seller, the bank and ebay and all have told me I was given a full refund. Ebay told me to check with Paypal however I did not use paypal, I used the credit card option and I cannot contact paypal as their website requires an account login to do anything.
I have asked to file an official complaint with ebay and have been told there is no complaint process I can go through.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

@flyingphil172,

Did the seller cancel the sale more than 1 day after the transaction? From what you have described, my guess is that the answer is "yes".

The item is listed by a South Korean seller, on the eBay.com (US) website. The displayed currency is US$; therefore, whatever you paid would be the converted price into AUD based on the exchange rate at the time of the transaction. Buyers can specify at the time of purchase whether the conversion is performed by PayPal (where the money taken from your card is in your card's currency - i.e., AUD to the exact amount determined by PayPal to be the required amount for the seller to receive full payment in his/her currency), or whether it's performed by your credit card provider (where the money taken from your card is in the seller's currency - i.e., USD for the full amount of the purchase, plus the conversion costs charged by your card provider). See How do I pay in a foreign currency using my credit card through PayPal? where PayPal explain this.

Just backing up a little... It may seem that eBay don't sufficiently explain that if you pay for your purchase using a credit card or debit card, without having a PayPal account, the transaction is very likely to be processed through PayPal. That's probably because it's a temporary situation. eBay is in the process of rolling out its own payment management system at this time, and many aspects of how that will work are still unknown at present to Australian sellers and buyers alike. There is also the possibility that a seller may have their own credit card payment gateways which means that they can accept payments from customers through their own ability to process credit/debit card payments. However, new accounts have not been able to set up this facility for some time now (about a year?) in preparation, I suppose, for eBay's own payment management system being rolled out.

It is a little bit more clearly laid out in eBay's Paying with PayPal page, where it is is explained that:

How to buy on eBay without using PayPal

If a seller accepts PayPal, you don't need a PayPal account – you can pay using a credit or debit card, an eBay gift card or eBay voucher, or Afterpay. Sellers may also accept other payment methods. Check the payment options offered in the listing before you complete your purchase.

Payments are protected under eBay's Money Back Guarantee Policy at present if they are processed through PayPal, by the way.

Anyway, having paid by credit or debit card without having a PayPal account, your order is then cancelled and you're refunded. When eBay and PayPal inform you that you've been issued with a full refund, they are correct. The purchase price was in USD. Upon cancellation, the refund amount is in the original currency, at the original amount. There is no expectation that you'll receive back the same amount in AUD that you paid; currency exchange rates can fluctuate madly. (PayPal make an exception for refunds issued without a day of the transaction.) Yes - if you paid at a time when the exchange rate was low, and that rate went up in the interim before you were issued with a refund, you would indeed have received back more (in AUD) than you paid...

This is explained in PayPal's Refunds and Returns page.

Refunds involving a currency conversion

If the original payment involved a currency conversion and the refund is issued:

• within 1 day of the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable on the date of the original payment, so that you receive the original amount (including the currency conversion you paid)
  • 1 day or more after the date of the original payment: we will use the transaction exchange rate applicable at the time of the refund. This means that you may not receive the full amount of your original payment due to the fluctuations in exchange rates.❞

I hope that helps to explain what has happened. Losing $5 in the process is frustrating, but it is in line with PayPal's terms and conditions and also with eBay's terms and conditions (which reference PayPal's T&Cs as needing to be complied with).

Spoiler

If it makes you feel any better, let me just quickly mention that the seller from whom you purchased has a poor feedback percentage. Only 97.8%! For a high volume seller, that is unacceptable in my view; as a rule I'd not purchase from a high-volume eBay seller with less than 99.5% in their feedback percentage. I would also think twice about purchasing from a seller registered in South Korea whose most recent negatives include the following:

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Paypal processes the credit card payments and they do not refund their fees for the transaction.

There is nothing you can do about it.