Buyer wants to go through PayPal for refund

Community Member

I am selling dome camera mounting brackets (only one size). The item dimension is on one of the images on the listing (not written in text description). The buyer asked me to send it by Premium courier service (arrived in 2~ 3 days).

He received it and claimed the item is too small and "it needs to be returned and refunded". My returns policy is "No returns accepted". I told him: I will agree to let him refund it at his own expense. (He covers the return shipping and I issue a partial refund with the deduction of the Premium courier service fee.)

He is not satisfied with the resolution, intends to leave negative feedback, and will also file for a full refund through Paypal.

I know I can approach eBay to address the negative feedback, but which side will Paypal lean towards (It feels unfair that the buyer did not look carefully before purchasing, and now I'm expected to cover his postage expenses because of his own mistake. If Paypal takes the buyer's side and deducts money from me, not only will I be short of the transaction amount, I will also not have the bracket returned to me)?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Advise the buyer that  the items are as described in the listing, New boxed items with dimensions clearly visible on the box, and with the item model as per the listed item specifics.

Advise that you are willing to accept a return for change of mind only.   If they claim via paypal, paypal will deal with ebay direct  and you will be contacted via ebay to dispute the claim, note you will have no direct involvement with paypal.

Contact ebay  CS  via live chat, and advise that the buyer is attempting to use feedback extortion to force a refund.

Best of Luck

If the buyer opens a case in PP as NAD, likely they will receive a refund.

However they need to sign up for the free returns before opening the case and they can post it back to you without having to pay. I don't believe you are charged for the return postage by PP but many things have changed so I am not certain.

To avoid the neg, why not just send the buyer a postage label for the return and refund. Be done with and apologize for the inconvenience.