$150 fee to sell a laptop :|

benklason
Community Member

So I'm attempting to sell a laptop for $1450 and my expected loss towards eBay is:

eBay - $143

Paypal - $38

Total LOSS to sell my item - $181

Really isn't $60 fair or even $80 fair? To use a hosted service which probably absorbs a $0.02 loss to host my item for 10 days?

I mean they pay their support staff peanuts, its not like their wages are high enough to justify the excess fees.

I think its a joke I hope I never need money bad enough to use eBay ever again, this is pathetic.

Message 1 of 26
Latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Good on you! best idea Ive heard all week. Of course your post wont last long before being removed. Ive listed most of my items there already.

Message 2 of 26
Latest reply

rjm6572
Community Member

yes its free to list but things dont move very quick.....very quiet there too

Message 3 of 26
Latest reply

That site is so good I hardly ever look at it and I've sold one item there and I'm not in a hurry to try again.

Tramps like us,
Baby we were born to run....

Bruce Springsteen
Message 4 of 26
Latest reply

"I'm not in a hurry to try again."

Yes why support Australian business? GO AUSSIE!

Message 5 of 26
Latest reply

If you are using a free listing then the final value fee is capped at $100 unless they have changed things again in the last couple of weeks so your total fee for ebay will be $100

You will only pay a Paypal fee if the buyer chooses to pay that way and if they are close enough to find it in local classifieds or whatever why wouldn't they pick up and pay cash if you have given them the option in the listing. Have you also considered that most people would either be unable to risk that much money without the option of buyer protection or they may not have the cash but buy anyway as they can use a credit card!

Without pick up not many people would even look past the title and gallery pic with a low feedback seller and only a stock photo, the one of the actual item may have got you more interest.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 26
Latest reply

It would have to be a pretty flash laptop to sell for $1450, used.

I can get a pretty flash laptop for that, or less, brand new, from Dell. Who probably have a bit more credibility than a seller of secondhand goods.

Message 7 of 26
Latest reply

Btw, if you use QS and don't offer Paypal don't be disappointed by the fact that buyers will avoid you. Just because you don't have to offer a means that protects buyers doesn't mean there are that many mug buyers out there.

Message 8 of 26
Latest reply

That's the main thing I don't like about that site plus the fact it feels like a ghost town.

Tramps like us,
Baby we were born to run....

Bruce Springsteen
Message 9 of 26
Latest reply

If you are using a free listing then the final value fee is capped at $100 unless they have changed things again in the last couple of weeks so your total fee for ebay will be $100

You will only pay a Paypal fee if the buyer chooses to pay that way and if they are close enough to find it in local classifieds or whatever why wouldn't they pick up and pay cash if you have given them the option in the listing. Have you also considered that most people would either be unable to risk that much money without the option of buyer protection or they may not have the cash but buy anyway as they can use a credit card!

Without pick up not many people would even look past the title and gallery pic with a low feedback seller and only a stock photo, the one of the actual item may have got you more interest.

PJ, the cap is now $250, 😞

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is only with the heart one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
Message 10 of 26
Latest reply