2 buyers for one listing grrrr

Hope someone can help a bit

I had 2 chandeliers listed for nearly a year with no interest

Then the other day someone asked if they could buy just one of them, and I agreed just to finally sell 

We messaged through ebay confirming a price, but about an hour later, before I had changed the listing, someone buys both .

I sent a polite message to the 2nd buyer saying I would have to cancel because I had already agreed to sell one to another buyer, but said they could have remaining chandelier at a reduced price.

This person refused and sent back a message saying they wanted both, and would leave negative feedback

I sent another message explaining in full the situation, including a copy of the message from 1st buyer showing that the meassge to buy was sent when the item was active - so before 2nd buyer purchased

Also explaining that I would have preffered to sell to them because it meant selling both for more money and no hassle

Their final message basically says too bad and states they will leave negative feedback

I know dealing with eBay to solve these sorts of issues can be a pain and I might not get the feedback cancelled, b ut would appreciate any help or pointers

Thanks

Robert

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I think you have to stick with the second buyer - he bought in good faith an existing listing.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I think once you had done the deal with buyer 1, you should have ended the listing.

Buyer 2 bought in good faith and will be justified in leaving you negative feedback if you don't sell to them.

And is highly unlikely eBay would remove such feedback.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

@robart05 wrote:

Hope someone can help a bit

I had 2 chandeliers listed for nearly a year with no interest

Then the other day someone asked if they could buy just one of them, and I agreed just to finally sell 

you are in a bit of a pickle.  I think the message for all readers here is that when negotiating with a potential buyer you need to include the rider that while the listing is still active there is the chance that someone will come in and buy from the listing.  This would cover you against this type of situation.

With the benefit of knowing how this has gone for you so far it is easy for any of us to say what we would have done differently to you.  So, with this in mind . . . . . what I would have done is offer the two for a reduced price to the buyer that wanted one and told them that they could sell off one for half the price I was originally asking to get even better value for the one they keep.  This would have had you offload two instead of one.

Now, knowing how this has gone so far, and what to do now . . . . . I would honour the sale with the second buyer and apologise to the member that had messaged you about buying one.  If the chandeliers are 'pickup-onl'y then message the second buyer and tell them it is cash-on-pickup-no-PayPal as there is no PayPal protection for buyers or sellers for pickup items.  Who knows, they may not like having to pay cash and my pull out of the sale leaving you able to sell one to the first buyer!

I hope this can all work itself out for you.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Hello again

So far consensus seems to reside with the 2nd buyer, but I'm not convinced yet!

My mistake was not to change or take down the listing immediatelty, a mistake I openly admiitted to 2nd buyer

But surely by the time they hit the "buy" button I already had a rock solid  agreement with someone else, I can't really see why the person who got in first should be penalised? I know it's due to my mistake, but thats not their problem

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@robart05 wrote:

Hello again

My mistake was not to change or take down the listing immediatelty, a mistake I openly admiitted to 2nd buyer

But surely by the time they hit the "buy" button I already had a rock solid  agreement with someone else, I can't really see why the person who got in first should be penalised? I know it's due to my mistake, but thats not their problem

I have to ask . . . . did you come here for affirmation of your position that you should sell one to the member that messaged you OR did you come here for advice from experienced eBayers about how to proceed?

surely by the time they hit the "buy" button I already had a rock solid  agreement with someone else

Your mistake in not cancelling the listing as soon as you agreed to sell the one chandelier enabled the second buyer to form a contract with you for the purchase of two chandeliers.  They have 'bought' and commited to pay in good faith from a valid live eBay listing, why should they be penalised?

Look, all this is moot if you are only looking for posters to agree with your your already decided position.  I have replied twice and stated my position on your situation, which conflicts with your position. 

I will not be posting on this thread again as to do so would be to engage in an argument with you i.e. we state our positions with a view to convincing the other to change their position.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Geez chill out

I stated I wanted advice in the OP

My second reply said I wasn't convinced yet . . . 

So far people are happy to state the 2nd person has a contract to buy

But doesn't the first person have a contract to buy? I would have thought if I tell them I won't sell to them I could be in the same boat

ie wouldn't they be able to use the same argument the 2nd buyer is using?

No one has addressed the rights or otherwise of the 1st buyer??

Thats why I'm not convinced

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

sadly we can't take into consideration the rights of the first potential buyer.    If you have an item for sale on ebay, and someone buys it, that's pretty much it.   

I don't see what else you can do without damaging your ebay profile.    Perhaps you should start explaining to the first fella that you can't sell to him after all.   Hopefully you still have the 2 chandeliers?   Continue with the second buyer and all should be well.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

From the information in your OP the first buyer didn't actually buy anything as the listing was ended with the second buyer,

All they did was negotiate a price and quantity. They didn't go through checkout or commit to buy.

Whilst I understand that you feel you have an agreement with the first person and should honour that agreement, the fact is the second person is your only Buyer. The first person cannot leave negative feedback as they did not complete the transaction.

Apologise to the first person and sell to the second. (You might also want to block the first buyer in case they decide to do some malicious buying)

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

I think you need to the thing that sits most comfortably with you.

You have to live with the results of your decision, which is likely to be a red dot if you do not sell to the second buyer.

IMO I understand that the second buyer would be annoyed, however as you have provided them with an outline of what has occurred, if they are cross with you for trying to ethical then so be it. 

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply