2 buyers for one listing grrrr

Hope someone can help a bit

I had 2 chandeliers listed for nearly a year with no interest

Then the other day someone asked if they could buy just one of them, and I agreed just to finally sell 

We messaged through ebay confirming a price, but about an hour later, before I had changed the listing, someone buys both .

I sent a polite message to the 2nd buyer saying I would have to cancel because I had already agreed to sell one to another buyer, but said they could have remaining chandelier at a reduced price.

This person refused and sent back a message saying they wanted both, and would leave negative feedback

I sent another message explaining in full the situation, including a copy of the message from 1st buyer showing that the meassge to buy was sent when the item was active - so before 2nd buyer purchased

Also explaining that I would have preffered to sell to them because it meant selling both for more money and no hassle

Their final message basically says too bad and states they will leave negative feedback

I know dealing with eBay to solve these sorts of issues can be a pain and I might not get the feedback cancelled, b ut would appreciate any help or pointers

Thanks

Robert

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

This is an example of ebay's biased searched engines .

The millisecond that first person asked a question the item was flagged as interesting, and it went to the top of the search engine.

Of course buyers suddenly saw it and one bought it.

It's bad luck for the question asker, but that's life sometimes. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

You obviously feel that you have made a committment to the first member, and that you're obligated to honour your word - if nothing else, that is admirable. Perhaps you feel you made a greater committment to the first member because it involved negotiation and your word directly; I can understand that... but the issue now is that, although it may not 'feel' this way, you have made a greater committment (albeit unintentionally) to the second member who purchased, because they're the ones with the purchase. 

Perhaps you can try to reach a compromise with the first member, a discount on another product or something similar, if possible? Since the second member has made it clear they are not willing to negotiate a compromise. You never know, the first member may have not been as committed to the purchase as the second one, and that's why they wanted to negotiate a cheaper price. They might be disappointed, they might be quite ok... 

No matter which way you proceed, you are going to have to disappoint someone, so really, you're going to have to weigh up what is most important to you - will you take the negative to honour the original arrangement, or will you let the first member down to honour the purchase that has been made? That's an ethical question we can't really answer for you. 😉

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

Options are: sell ONE to the first buyer, have one left, which could sit there for who knows how long, and get a negative, a low DSR and a defect from the second buyer.

Sell TWO to the second buyer, who formed the contract by clicking buy now, get positive feedback, a good DSR and no defect, and have the first seller, who didn't form a contract because they didn't hit buy now, have a whinge and grizzle to their neighbour.

I know which one I'd do.

There was no legal obligation with the first buyer, like there is the second, only a moral obligation and that really means Jack on here.

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

j*oono
Community Member

I just had a look at the chandelier in your completed listings.  Wow!  I can understand the 2nd buyer not wanting to let go as they are so unusual.

As much as you will feel bad about doing it to the 1st buyer, my opinion is that the 2nd is the official winner and you should sell to them.  I wouldn't like to be in your shoes.

Joono
Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

if it was me i would email first buyer and let them know what has happened.

since your listing was active and second buyer does what all sellers aim for to hit buy now and buys in good faith im in favor for second buyer has the right to buy items. 

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Hi

Thanks everyone for your input, it has helped me make my decision

It still irks me but I am going with the consensus and 2nd buyer gets it.

Glad for opinions and recommendations

Thanks

Robert

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Good choice. Unfortunate for the first buyer, but they hadn't committed to buying.
Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Glad to see you have used commonsense.

Buit I would also hope you take on board the general info you have been given about how to manage your listings.

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

Don't feel bad, I've had so many people over the years swear baldly they are coming in to see something, or beg me to stay open that exra hour for them and 9 out 10 times they let me down.

THat first person MAY have dropped away, and was MOST LIKELY umming and ahhing.

You got the sale, and E-Bay can be a jungle(law of the jungle), just like the first inquirer found out.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply