3 day delivery not possible for all sellers depending on location not fair

it is not fair for all sellers especially regional sellers like my self to have to compete with 3 day guarantee delivery, it takes 3 days for an item to get to major depot. ebay are pushing 3 day option to sellers and this impacts my sales. i tried to offer this but was penalised by ebay for not delivering, i feel it needs to be thought out a little better. its bad enough small Sellers get pushed to the end of the pile , and now being able to promote your item for an additional fee how much money is enough? very frustrating, keep it simple like it used to be fair for all, this is just my opinion.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: 3 day delivery not possible for all sellers depending on location not fair

@theantennacompany wrote:

it is not fair for all sellers especially regional sellers like my self to have to compete with 3 day guarantee delivery, it takes 3 days for an item to get to major depot. ebay are pushing 3 day option to sellers and this impacts my sales. i tried to offer this but was penalised by ebay for not delivering, i feel it needs to be thought out a little better. its bad enough small Sellers get pushed to the end of the pile , and now being able to promote your item for an additional fee how much money is enough? very frustrating, keep it simple like it used to be fair for all, this is just my opinion.

If you can't do it, then just don't offer it, have a longer handling time.

For a lot of buyers a few days extra won't matter greatly. I would say a 1-2 week handling time would be ok in most cases.

But if on the other hand, you try offering a fast service then don't deliver, there will be all hell to pay because customers will feel let down.

You've no doubt seen a lot of the TV ads where pet foods and all other manner of things are now promising 'next day delvery'. It probably comes with a disclaimer eg metro areas only, but that's the market ebay is up against to some extent. I think only regular ebay sellers who perhaps have a courier service are going to be able to opt in to these super fast schemes & even then, only to certain areas.

Will it affect you as a seller?  Ebay may start to favour the bigger sellers to some extent but if they do, I think they are making a bit of a mistake because the small sellers of unusual or second hand items can sometimes have the most interesting finds on ebay.

Message 11 of 17
Latest reply

I’m closely watching one of ours (another site) at the moment. Brisbane to Brisbane delivery. The last ‘local delivery’ took 6 days. With this one tomorrow will be day 4.

So even in a metropolitan area it’s a gamble.

Melina.

Message 12 of 17
Latest reply

@clubesquire wrote:

I’m closely watching one of ours (another site) at the moment. Brisbane to Brisbane delivery. The last ‘local delivery’ took 6 days. With this one tomorrow will be day 4.

So even in a metropolitan area it’s a gamble.

Melina.

It certainly can be if you use Aust Post.

I know of one seller who has a courier & is able to offer-now I think it might be next day delivery-to clients in  some particular areas. I think it is Melb/Sydney/? metro but I forget exactly. He needs a regualr courier service as part of his business, not just for ebay I would imagine. he told me he is very rarely let down, they are very reliable.

I suppose a seller who did have a courier they used regularly could opt into 3 day deliveries in certain areas, but I would imagine most regional and country centres would not have access to that sort of service, either as buyer or seller.

Message 13 of 17
Latest reply

Springy, a lot of larger courier companies offer overnight services from Sydney to Melbourne and Sydney to Brisbane.

The StarTrack trucks leave Sydney about 7pm every weeknight.

Even good old (un)reliable Fastways manages to deliver from Brisbane to Sydney overnight.....I regularly receive medical supplies that are ordered on Sunday nght and are delivered to me early Tuesday morning....and they safe drop.Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 17
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

If your current location means you can't offer guaranteed delivery, you either have to move, or send your items to a third party distributor if you want to compete on eBay.

.....before everyone rips me to shreds, Smiley Very Happy I'm not offering that as serious advice, but it also probably won't shock anyone (too much) to learn that this was (allegedly) the advice given by a certain person formerly emplyed by, and still closely related to, eBay. 

g-facepalm.gif

I'm only surprised that the "certain person" didn't suggest that sellers buy their own aeroplane to ensure guaranteed fast delivery... qantas.gif

is this a heads up that the 'ebay global shipping system' is on its way to australia?

Message 15 of 17
Latest reply

But if they had, it still would not have been good enough unless the seller gave a free return flight to anywhere of the buyer's choosing

Some will never be happy,no matter how much above and beyond a seller goes 

Message 16 of 17
Latest reply

@Springy

Yes, it’s with AP and it looks like it will be delivered tomorrow. We can’t count the weekend of course, but since order to delivery it will have taken 6 days again.

Generally, we have found AP to be very good and reliable. Oh just a few small hiccups, but they were quickly remedied. We’re fortunate too that we have good people at our local who provide superb customer service.

Im not sure what it is with local to local deliveries though. From here (Brisvegas) to say Sydney, or Melbourne, it usually takes 3-4 days. The norm for local seems to be 6 days!! Even the country areas seem to be good, with delivery made within 3-5 days.

Oh well. It is what it is 🙂

Melina.

Message 17 of 17
Latest reply